WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Insanity with broadcom (b43) wifi  (Read 1511 times)

Offline tsaukpaetra

Insanity with broadcom (b43) wifi
« on: July 26, 2012, 10:07:57 PM »
I'm just not sure where to go from here. According to lshw's output, my wifi device is a Broadcom-something chip.
       configuration: broadcast=yes driver=b43 driverversion=3.0.21-tinycore firmware=N/A link=no multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bg
The problem being that apparently I need firmware in order for it to do literally anything.
I've searched (as best I can) the forums depicting ways to get this poor thing to work, and come up pretty dry. From finding posts that claim to be able to get it working in 5 minutes, to using b43-fwcutter (which failed complaining about an md5 mismatch), to literally installing everything that said "firmware" and "wifi" (or wpa).

Any hints? This has really got me stumped.
Output to iwconfig is as follows:
wlan0     IEEE 802.11bg  ESSID:off/any 
          Mode:Managed  Access Point: Not-Associated   Tx-Power=0 dBm   
          Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:on

Doing a "sudo wpa_supplicant =Dwext -iwlan0 -c/opt/wpa.cfg -B" Gives me:
Could not set interface wlan0 flags: No such file or directory
Failed to initialize driver interface

Online coreplayer2

Re: Insanity with broadcom (b43) wifi
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 10:45:30 PM »
I'd look here http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,12910.msg73355.html#msg73355 in fact the whole thread has useful info regarding Broadcom devices.

Perhaps the compat wireless drivers will help but you'll need firmware

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 11:41:49 PM »
I've had a bunch of broadcom wireless hardware over the years and (in the end) I've always managed to get it to work one way or the other.

The first step would be to use "lsusb" from usb-utils or "lspci" from pci-utils to let us know exactly what broadcom hardware you have.

Once we know what hardware you have, then we can look whether b43 + firmware, wireless-compat + firmware, wl or ndiswrapper is required to get things working.

Offline Vilkata

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 01:57:09 PM »
I know this is a huge bump, but I figured this would be better than reposting basically the same topic.

I am trying to install a wpc54g pci card, which uses the b43 driver(which is installed) and i also have the matching firmware installed to /usr/local/lib/firmware.

From there, I don't know where the problem is. Wicd's daemon wont start, and wicd itself seems to scan for a split second before saying it cannot find anything. Wifi.tcz detects wlan0, but shows no networks(there are several here.) wpa_supplicant cannot start wlan0, ifconfig will stop wlan0 but fails on start. lspci shows the correct card is loaded, modprob shows modules are loaded, wpa_gui is missing SYNC extension for Xlib, etc.

I am at a loss. Help?

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 09:22:36 PM »
The first step would be to use "lsusb" from usb-utils or "lspci" from pci-utils to let us know exactly what broadcom hardware you have.