WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: ISO Master mischief [Solved]  (Read 4283 times)

Offline cg

Re: ISO Master mischief
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2012, 12:20:03 PM »
Hi Rich,

As I mentioned above in my edit, it looks like ISO Master doesn't uninstall cleanly when done through the app browser.  I'm not sure yet if that's even remotely relevant, but it does seem to prevent changing the install level (e.g. OnBoot vs OnDemand).

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2012, 12:25:57 PM »
Hi cg
Applications get marked for removal by AppBrowser. The don't actually get removed until you restart your machine.

Offline cg

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2012, 12:30:22 PM »
Right, but even after I restarted, the following files stuck around:

/usr/local/share/isomaster
/usr/local/share/isomaster/icons/isomaster.png
/usr/local/share/applications/isomaster.desktop
/usr/local/bin/isomaster
/usr/local/tce.installed/isomaster

Again, this is after marking for deleting in the app browser, and then rebooting.  I'm savvy enough to be able to rm -rf all of 'em, but others might not be (and rm -rf might not even be the best way to go about it...), so I figured I'd mention it here. :)

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2012, 12:44:14 PM »
Hi cg
You are of course using the Exit icon to reboot and not just hitting reset, right? (Sorry, I had to ask).
I don't normally like to give these sort of instructions, but, go to the tce directory and edit the onboot.lst
file. Remove the line that reads isomaster.tcz. Go to the tce/optional directory and delete isomaster.tcz.
Restart the machine and try to install again.

Offline cg

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2012, 12:51:21 PM »
Hi cg
You are of course using the Exit icon to reboot and not just hitting reset, right? (Sorry, I had to ask).

No worries dude, gotta make sure the basics are covered. :)  I generally click on desktop, exit, reboot-with-backup.

go to the tce directory and edit the onboot.lst file. Remove the line that reads isomaster.tcz. Go to the tce/optional directory and delete isomaster.tcz. Restart the machine and try to install again.

After deleting through the app browser, that line and that .tcz file are both non-existant without me doing anything manually.  I think it's just leaving those 5 files behind, and for whatever reason that's screwing up the reinstall process.

Curiously, I still can't launch ISO Master (and there's still nothing in the syslog) after installing it as onboot.  I'm thinking there's some other file somewhere that I need to remove from an old install, but I've got *no* idea where to even start looking. :-\

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2012, 12:57:15 PM »
Hi cg
The /usr directory gets recreated from scratch every time you restart. Does your  /opt/.filetool.lst  file have any
references to  usr?

Offline cg

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2012, 01:03:46 PM »
I had actually put the entire directory on /opt/.filetool.lst, and I can't for the life of me remember why.  I'm rebooting right now, gonna see if any of my custom scripts don't run properly and from there might be able to figure out wtf I was thinking.  Meanwhile, I'll also see what happens with ISO Master.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2012, 01:12:00 PM »
Hi cg
I had actually put the entire directory on /opt/.filetool.lst,
That's one hell of a backup, bet that takes a while. You should for the most part only add entries like:
Code: [Select]
Directory/Subdirectory/Subdirectory/Filenameto .filetool.lst. If you made any changes to any files under /usr and reboot without adding them to .filetool.lst
you will lose those changes.

Offline cg

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2012, 01:18:44 PM »
No kidding - I'd been wondering why it'd started taking so long to shut down!

Anyway, I took that line out, and reinstalled ISO Master, and it works flawlessly - problem solved!

Thanks so much for all your help:)

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2012, 01:28:38 PM »
Hi cg
You are welcome. Please go to your original post, click the modify button, and added  [SOLVED]  to the
subject line.

Offline cg

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2012, 01:35:55 PM »
I would, but there's one more teeny problem:

I'd apparently added /usr so that SSH would continue to work, which it currently is not.  Is there an easy fix for that?  (Apparently installing SSH adds files to /usr/local/etc/ssh - I'm not sure which files, and they're no longer there which seems like it'd make finding out a little tough.)

I know how to preserve those files after install, I'm just curious if I have to un- and re-install OpenSSH or if there are files elsewhere that are copy-able.

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2012, 02:09:02 PM »
Add to /opt/.filetool.lst:
usr/local/etc/ssh

Offline cg

« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2012, 02:13:39 PM »
Add to /opt/.filetool.lst:
usr/local/etc/ssh

Beautiful, thanks!

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2012, 11:06:46 PM »
No kidding - I'd been wondering why it'd started taking so long to shut down!

Anyway, I took that line out, and reinstalled ISO Master, and it works flawlessly - problem solved!

Thanks so much for all your help:)

Also not unlikely that the backup blunder is at the root of issues of your other thread about unexpected results with ezremaster.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)