WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Firefox 15.01  (Read 3733 times)

Offline meo

Firefox 15.01
« on: September 07, 2012, 06:19:33 AM »
Hi again!

Just a quick reminder that there is a new version of Firefox (15.01). An update would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for all the work put down in TC extensions.

Have fun with TC,
meo
"All that is very well," answered Candide, "but let us cultivate our garden." - Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
Re: Firefox 15.01
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 06:34:35 AM »
Is it really necessary to jump on new version immediately in hurry?
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 08:06:58 AM »
Hi meo
Appbrowser shows the current version is at 15.0.1 and is dated 9-6-2012 (yesterday). I agree with bmarkus,
especially since it was just updated 10 days ago. If you are going to ask for an update, at least state the reason
you need it updated, like what it fixes, not just that you happened to notice the version number changed, or
that Firefox told you it was available.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 08:14:54 AM »
BTW, RedHat and CentOS is still on 10.0.7
Béla

Offline meo

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 10:56:27 AM »
Hi all!

I'm sorry if I've offended someones feelings by this request. That was never my meaning but since this thread is for requesting extensions I thought it was OK. The reason I missed out on the update is that I did a pristine install of the new TC 4.6.1. That included a fresh install of Firefox (just before the update; surely because of the time difference between Sweden and the US). So, Jason, I apologize for requesting an update that was already done. I really appreciate the work you do so a big thanks for this update. It means a lot to me. Furthermore I don't think that this thread is the place to pick on someone that have different preferences than you have yourself. I guess it's called "Extensions request" for a reason.

Have fun with TC, I surely have,
meo
"All that is very well," answered Candide, "but let us cultivate our garden." - Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 11:58:55 AM »
Hi meo
No one here was offended, and if you feel I was picking on you, I am sorry, that was not my intent. What I wrote was
not about preferences, but meant to be more of an observation about update requests without knowing what the
update actually fixes/changes/breaks.

Offline vinnie

• HandMace informatic works
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 05:36:22 PM »
also, if I may intrude a moment, for security reasons it is best to wait a while before you update to the latest version, sometimes there are bugs with the new release and no one notices immediately

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2012, 06:12:01 PM »
As for version updates, I normally keep the mozilla browsers at the latest version by default.  Meo normally reminds me to update, but this time I was able to beat the request.  :-) 

Arch keeps to the latest Firefox, but Gentoo still considers 10.0.7 to be the stable version, and in the mozilla repo it was released 8/24/12 and is the latest point release of firefox 10.  But after version 10, they seem to be issuing only one point release until they release a new major version. 

I will ponder on how to keep stable versions of firefox around, perhaps like minefiel.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 12:18:49 AM »
Mozilla practically stopped using minor release numbers and increasing major instead. Most probably a marketing tool.

Main issue of frequent updates is plugin incompatibility. In a professional environment in many cases custom plugins are used and you can't risk to loose them, and there is the security risk.
Béla

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 07:50:28 AM »
Now version 10 is their extended support release.  Perhaps we can keep the firefox.tcz at the latest version and then also maintain the ESR versions, now would be firefox10.tcz, so that folks can either choose to keep with the latest version or remain on one stable one that will not be constantly bumped in major versions without warning.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2012, 06:04:45 PM »
Uploading firefox10.tcz and firefox10.scm at latest version 10.0.7.