WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Ondemand?  (Read 9831 times)

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: Ondemand?
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2012, 01:52:26 AM »
Xprogs, Xlibs and your choice of X server are assumed to be installed, and so not listed in each and every dep file.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline adrian

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2012, 06:53:50 AM »
Xprogs, Xlibs and your choice of X server are assumed to be installed, and so not listed in each and every dep file.

Oh, that's a shame.  I know everyone is into the GUI thing, but as a minimal system, it should not assume that there is a GUI attached. :(

While looking around in the system, I found the package dependency listing command.  I made a shell script to recursively show all the dependencies as known by the package manager.

I've attached it here if anyone is interested.

A
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 07:12:43 AM by adrian »

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2012, 07:22:19 AM »
It's a fact that a huge part of the extensions require X. Listing the common components in each of those dep files would increase the load time unnecessarily for each such extension.

Certainly it's a bit more hassle if you usually use only a cli and then load some GUI app. But if you're loading a GUI app on purpose, surely you're also loading an X server (we don't force any choice, you can pick Xvesa, Xfbdev, Xorg, etc) and so can load the two other related extensions.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline adrian

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2012, 08:37:38 AM »
It's a fact that a huge part of the extensions require X. Listing the common components in each of those dep files would increase the load time unnecessarily for each such extension.
Really?  How much time could that possibly be?  There should be a simple way of doing it where the overhead is less than negligible.

Certainly it's a bit more hassle if you usually use only a cli and then load some GUI app. But if you're loading a GUI app on purpose, surely you're also loading an X server (we don't force any choice, you can pick Xvesa, Xfbdev, Xorg, etc) and so can load the two other related extensions.
Well, that's nice that a user is not bound to a particular X server package, but that doesn't mean anything really.

I've updated that showdep script if anyone is interested.  It now can show if a dependency is not currently loaded.

A

Offline solorin

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2012, 06:44:06 PM »
adrian,

it's all text files. nobody is stopping you from appending the necessary X dependencies to the .dep files locally. a task which is also amenable to scripting.

cheerio,
solorin
. . . if you don't know, now you know. . .
        ----- R.I.P. Biggie Smalls -----

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2012, 07:51:24 AM »
Xvesa, Xprogs, Xlibs, flwm, and wbar are pseudo extensions. Once part of the base but now factored out by way of community request.  Curaga is spot on with his answer that adding to every extension would cause a needless slow down. Plus the possible conflict with xserver when Xorg is preferred or required. Sometimes using a computer requires a little common sense.

Ondemand is really quite simple creating small load scripts accessed by way of menu and wbar selection.

If you want unloading use scm style extensions.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline adrian

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2012, 12:03:54 PM »
Ok, whatev.   I will just not load the X stuff unless I'm going to do maintenance and that's easily scriptable.  No biggie. :)

A