WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Request Midnight Commander File Manager  (Read 53697 times)

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
Re: Request Midnight Commander File Manager
« Reply #75 on: July 02, 2012, 07:37:20 PM »
Uploaded, seems to work, hope everything is good now.

Offline netnomad

« Reply #76 on: July 02, 2012, 11:07:09 PM »
i can confirm that the zip-error is solved :),
it seems to be a good piece of work.

Offline SamK

« Reply #77 on: July 03, 2012, 02:52:16 AM »
Uploaded, seems to work, hope everything is good now.
i can confirm that the zip-error is solved :)
Using a very minimal testing set up, I obtain different results as reported below.

Set Up
Code: [Select]
ls /usr/local/tce.installed

Xlibs
Xorg-7.6-lib
Xprogs
Xvesa
expat2
fltk-1.10
fontconfig
jwm
kmaps
libfltk-xft

ls /apps

bin/
etc
mc/

Tests
Updated to the latest mc.scm, verified md5. Tested only browsing of test archives by <Enter> key.

Success:
7z, iso, rar, tar.bz2, tar.gz, tar.xz

Fail:
bz2, gz, zip

bz2, gz
The same results are obtained in a TC system and a system recently updated from Debian Testing.  Perhaps this is the expected behaviour as they are both single file archivers rather than multiple directory/file archivers.

zip
In the Debian Testing system, browsing works as expected.  In the TC test system it fails as follows:
No error message received.  Archive not opened for browsing

Install zip-unzip.scm
Again, no error message received.  Archive not opened for browsing

Reboot to test in a different configuration
(based on IceWM and Rox as they were handy from another project)
Error message received
Inconsistent extfs archive
sh: /apps/mc/libexec/mc/extfs.d/uzip: not found

Tentative conclusion
The current SCM is missing one or more dependencies.  The reported success is loading these from other TCZs.

In the working Debian Testing system the mc version is reported as 3:4.8.3-3.  Is this the same version as the SCM?

Almost there...

Edit: typos
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 03:07:19 AM by SamK »

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: July 03, 2012, 10:45:17 AM »
My current version has the /apps/mc/libexec/mc/extfs.d/uzip file present.  And it is present in the .list file on the server.  Are you sure you have the latest?

Offline SamK

« Reply #79 on: July 03, 2012, 10:51:00 AM »
My current version has the /apps/mc/libexec/mc/extfs.d/uzip file present.  And it is present in the .list file on the server.  Are you sure you have the latest?
SCM Update shows as upto date from ibiblio. 
The md5 is 321088525288831f032d524c506b5172
My system also has /apps/mc/libexec/mc/extfs.d/uzip file present.

Edit:
Unzip (loaded by mc.scm) also seems to be working at the command line via
unzip -v test.zipas used in ~/.config/mc/mc.ext
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 11:00:32 AM by SamK »

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #80 on: July 03, 2012, 06:59:17 PM »
The /apps/mc/libexec/mc/extfs.d/uzip file is a perl script, and it would be insane to include a perl instance in mc.scm.  I will make a note in the info file about needing perl for that matter.

Also, I am at this point not too concerned about being able to browse single file gz or bz2 compressed files that are not archives.  I will look more into it when I have some spare time though, maybe a simple solution like for the zip issue.

Thanks for all the testing, interest and feedback that helps to create a better result.

Offline SamK

« Reply #81 on: July 04, 2012, 12:42:58 AM »
Reporting success.

perl5.tcz was added to the configuration used in reply #77 and the tests re-run.

Success:
7z, iso, rar, tar.bz2, tar.gz, tar.xz, zip, bz2, gz

Fail:
None

bz2, gz
perl5.tcz is not required for these to be successful. 

It occurred to me that as these are designed to be used on a single file there would be little point in being able to browse the archive in the same way as archives of multiple directories and files, i.e. listing the contents then accessing a listed file. 

To test, a plain text file was compressed as test.txt.bz2 and test.txt.gz.  Pressing the <Enter> key on either of these displays the content of the compressed file (the text) rather than listing the the content of the archive (test.txt).

The /apps/mc/libexec/mc/extfs.d/uzip file is a perl script, and it would be insane to include a perl instance in mc.scm.  I will make a note in the info file about needing perl for that matter.
Is there a case for perl5 to eventually be available as an SCM?  If so, it will enable the consistency and ease of on-the-fly loading/unloading, also it would allow a user to add it to an app.scm.dep. Additionally, as the number of SCMs grow it is likely that it will be required by some of them.

Thanks for all the testing, interest and feedback that helps to create a better result.
Browsing back to the start of this topic, I was happy to accept the SCM at the stage of reply #9.  At that point, the majority of the subsequently added archive handling was being achieved via scripts added to the MC User Menu.  However, I agree that everyone's contribution and your persistence have produced a better result.

Thanks.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #82 on: July 04, 2012, 01:10:15 AM »

Is there a case for perl5 to eventually be available as an SCM?  If so, it will enable the consistency and ease of on-the-fly loading/unloading, also it would allow a user to add it to an app.scm.dep. Additionally, as the number of SCMs grow it is likely that it will be required by some of them.

+1 (and maybe python could be considered as a candidate in the same fashion as well)
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #83 on: July 04, 2012, 06:08:41 AM »
I will consider a perl5.scm, will look into it today.    There is a python2.7 and python3.2 in the scm repo available.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #84 on: July 04, 2012, 08:27:26 AM »
Oops..
Brainfart, my bad!
Now I can even recall having been impressed that there were 2 different versions of python in the scm repo when I first saw...
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #85 on: July 04, 2012, 03:00:23 PM »
perl5.scm is built and so far testing ok.  Plan to upload shortly. report any bugs in a new perl5 thread.

Also, on the perl note, I have changed the shebangs of the perl scripts in mc from "/usr/local/bin/perl" to "/usr/bin/env perl" so either the tcz or scm version of perl will suffice.  Testing, will upload soon.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 03:11:10 PM by Jason W »

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #86 on: July 04, 2012, 05:07:49 PM »
Ok, perl5.scm uploaded, and mc.scm has been adjusted to use either perl5.scm or perl5.tcz as it's perl install.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #87 on: July 04, 2012, 06:09:03 PM »
"/usr/bin/env perl" does not work with mc, must include a hard path.  So perl5.scm is chosen, with the path being /apps/bin/perl for the perl invocation. 

Offline SamK

« Reply #88 on: July 04, 2012, 11:27:04 PM »
Ok, perl5.scm uploaded...
Unable to update mc.scm from ibiblio.  SCMApps consistently returns "Failed".  As a test, xz.scm downloads OK, so the symptoms I see appear to be related to the avialable mc.scm update.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #89 on: July 05, 2012, 12:16:59 AM »
Coreutils which I believe is now part of mc breaks Apps GUI.
Use ab or tce-load as a workaround.

The issue is fixed but waiting on ibiblio for available space to post a bug fix release.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.