WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Loading graphics-KERNEL.tcz causes crash  (Read 1850 times)

Pseudoman

Loading graphics-KERNEL.tcz causes crash
« on: May 25, 2012, 07:22:07 PM »
A while ago, I was trying to get my Nvidia GeForce 6200 graphics card to work with TC on my Dell Dimension 3100, but I wasn't able to.
Revisiting the subject more recently, I discovered that it was not the Nvida drivers or its related extensions, but graphics-KERNEL.tcz that caused my computer to crash. I don't know why this happens. I examined the contents of the extension, and I found that it supports AGP connections. My card is connected via PCI. Would that be the problem?
I tested the graphics extension on my netbook and the integrated graphics card on the desktop, and it ran fine with both. It used to work on my desktop computer with the Nvidia card back about v3.8, but I don't want to downgrade. Was something changed in the graphics extension since then? Any light on the subject would be appreciated.

Also, I remember having this problem back around v3.8 as well, but I can't remember how I resolved it. If anybody else has had similar problems, please feel free to share how you resolved. Thanks.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: Loading graphics-KERNEL.tcz causes crash
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 09:47:12 PM »
Hi Pseudoman
Make sure the version of  graphics-KERNEL  matches your kernel version. Also, you could enter  lsmod  and
see which modules from  graphics-KERNEL  are being loaded.

Pseudoman

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 01:40:23 PM »
Thanks for the reply Rich,
I double checked the KERNEL and made sure they matched (3.0.2.1). The main problem is that my computer crashes as the graphics extension is loaded, so I cannot perform an lsmod. My screen is black and the computer is unresponsive, even to the ctrl-alt-delete keystrokes. Again, thanks for the response.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 01:52:17 PM »
Hi Pseudoman
Well, I see two choices.
1. If the machine runs properly without the extension, don't load it.
2. Try blacklisting the modules a few at a time to find which one is causing the problem.  I don't think it would be
    one of the AGP modules, though anything is possible. Maybe start by blacklisting radeon and the drm modules.

Pseudoman

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 02:21:44 PM »
1. okay, that's what I've been doing.
2. I hadn't thought of that, I will try it.
Thanks for the input.