WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Ctrl + Alt + Backspace never seems to function when really needed  (Read 1709 times)

Offline coreplayer2

AIUI  " Ctrl + Alt + Backspace "  function like Ctrl + Alt + Delete"  only on vesa,  yet it never seems to function when really needed ie when xvesa has crashed (maybe that's not the right description, hangs...?). 

It seems like the only way to head this issue off at the pass is to invoke text mode at boot instead.

Or am I not understanding this properly??

Offline gutmensch

• Administrator
  • I can make it disappear, have no fear!
    • remembrance blog
Re: Ctrl + Alt + Backspace never seems to function when really needed
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 12:33:13 AM »
In cases where Xvesa hangs you can still rely on the Kernel SysRequest feature with combinations like

Alt + Print/SysRq + R
Alt + Print/SysRq + E
Alt + Print/SysRq + I
Alt + Print/SysRq + S
Alt + Print/SysRq + U
Alt + Print/SysRq + B

that's "busier" backwards to remember easily ;) More information about the possible combinations you can find here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key
If I seem unduly clear to you, you must have misunderstood what I said. (Alan Greenspan)

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 06:45:30 AM »
Cool,   thanks  will work with this on next opportunity.  Though I think the reisub commands are best for an Linux install for a safe shutdown.     I was looking more for a method to return to text mode without the reboot from a booted remastered iso, if there is such a command.   The link seems useful thanks

Perhaps  just " Alt + Print/SysRq + R + I " is what I'm looking for.?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 07:27:41 AM by coreplayer2 »

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 10:16:21 AM »
You can try Ctrl-Alt-F1 to get back to tty1, and if that works, troubleshoot from there.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline coreplayer2

Ctrl + Alt + Backspace never seems to function when really needed
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 05:19:19 PM »
Thanks