WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Remmina has wrong or missing keys in RDP  (Read 6523 times)

Offline Nightsurf

Remmina has wrong or missing keys in RDP
« on: September 02, 2012, 09:23:59 AM »
Hello, there,

I'm trying RDP-Connection to a 2008 windows server. It works - but the key mapping isn't correct.

For Example: When I press the "down arrow", the windows start button is executed. "arrow left", "arrow right" and "arrow up" doesn't execute anything.

I found in another discussion board that the installation of freerdp should correct this problem - but it didn't for me...

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: Remmina has wrong or missing keys in RDP
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 09:51:03 AM »
Hi Nightsurf
I can't give you a hard answer, only some clues for things to look into.
The info file for  FreeRDP.tcz  states:
Might require Xorg for other than US layout.
Also, gutmensch mentions a keyboard mapping script that got moved:
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,12922.msg71377.html#msg71377
To get the functionality of that script back, install  FreeRDP-dev.tcz  and  perl5.tcz.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 09:52:55 AM by Rich »

Offline Nightsurf

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 10:04:03 AM »
Hello, Rich,

thanks for Your answer.

Xorg-7.6-lib.tcz belongs to the dependencies of FreeRDP-0.8.2-dev.tcz and FreeRDP-dev.tcz as well. FreeRDP-0.8.2-dev.tcz belongs to the dependencies of remmina. So it ist already installed...

I have to check for the perl5.tcz...

Offline Nightsurf

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 10:11:58 AM »
Also perl5.tcz is installed already...

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 12:44:58 PM »
Hi Nightsurf
Having  Xorg-7.6-lib.tcz  installed is not the same as installing and running Xorg. Many extensions have  Xorg-7.6-lib.tcz
as a dependency even though they may be run under Xvesa. I'm running FreeRDP.tcz which is version 1.0.1 and I
found that Copy/Paste would not work correctly until I switched from Xvesa to Xorg.

Offline Nightsurf

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 01:00:20 AM »
Thanks for your Reply, Rich.

And again I come to the limits of a linux newbie... ;-)

As much as I understand Xvesa and Xorg are environments including graphics. I found this discussion:

http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=2949.15

But the mentioned Wiki Article doesn't exist anymore. So I followed the mentioned quote:

You can use Xorg-7.4.tczl also. In such case edit /etc/sysconfig/Xserver and replace Xvesa with Xorg. To make it permanent, add /etc/sysconfig/Xserver to /opt/.filetool.lst

I did it / but it seemed like nothing changes - including my keyboard problem in RDP.

So I found another discussion:

http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/wiki:using_xorg_over_xvesa

The mentioned "graphics-2.6.29.1-tinycore.tcz" has changed to a version of 3.0.21. I installed it - with the result of a garbaged screen. Also restart of the system doesn't work. The scrambled screen persists...

So I'm back on an older version of my tiny core adventures - since a newbie like me is not able to handle a not starting system... :-)

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 07:04:29 AM »
Hi Nightsurf
Time to get a little more information. Which version of TinyCore are you running?
Install pci-utils.tcz. Run lspci. Using the mouse, highlight the result by holding down the left mouse button and
dragging the mouse pointer over the text to select it. Click on the editor icon, left click once in the text area, then
center click once to paste. Save the file as lspci.txt and attach it to your next post.
What model computer, processor type, and how much RAM?

Offline Nightsurf

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 02:00:56 AM »
Hi, Rich,

sorry for the delay in answering - due to work an a flue...  ;)

I'm running Core 4.5.5. I think Hardware is not relevant since I tried it on several PCs meanwhile. Nevertheless the configuration is in the attachment.

But meanwhile I'm in another problem. I managed it do get Xorg running (using a former version of the environment where Xorg wasn't installed already) - and the problem with the not or wrong accepted keys is gone...

But now I have another problem: In terminal session - connected to the windows server - it acts rather slow - like having a 64k modem connection - but I'm in a local environment, connected via ethernet connection or wifi with optimal signal strength.

So maybe Xorg is not a real solution for me because no one can really work with that screen updating speed...

Back to the arrow key problem:

One difference between the Xvesa and the Xorg installation is that now - in the Xorg environment - the "standard" keyboard layout is installed. In the Xvesa environment I managed it to get a german keyboard layout running. Maybe that was the reason for the wrong key translation in remmina?

Offline Nightsurf

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 03:10:04 AM »
Meanwhile I uninstalled Xorg again. The system comes up with Xvesa - and the arrow key problem comes back.

So I can say that this is definitely a Xvesa problem.

The question is now how to manage that Xorg works in a normal speed in RDP session...

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 05:37:43 PM »
Hi Nightsurf
Did you read the Xorg info file and try the instructions about enabling acceleration? Also, which version of Xorg
did you install? One of the other versions might provide better results.