General TC > General TC Talk

pauses in boot sequence

(1/2) > >>

SBor:
Hi,
I am using TC frugal install on a VIA Epia with 0,5GHz C3 processor and 256MB of RAM.
Boot device is a 2GB IDE flash module.
Compared to other Linux and Windows, TC boots fast, that is for sure.
But I would like it even faster, the PC is used kind of as an embedded device in a
model railroad panel.
Therefore I examined the /var/log/messages
and found that there are no entries in two periods during boot. I attached the log file.
As you can see, the kernel boots in no time until it starts dealing with extensions.
From 10:51:07 to 10:51:14 the extensions seem to be mounted. I assume that this is
when on the boot screen the names of the extensions are shown one by one on the screen.
One thing that I find strange is that there are some cp-commands listed in the log file,
but the "cp -ais" just creates symlinks per file in the archive, right?
Than between 10:51:14 and 10:51:24 the system stays mute for 10s.
This is in sync with what I see on the screen during boot. What is happening in that gap?
Is there a potential to get rid of this pause?
Than from 10:51:24 to 10:51:26 I see some scripts work and the usb-serial devices are finally recognized after already being recognized earlier by the ignorant kernel, thanks to the now loaded extension.
Than the next pause happens from 10:51:26 to 10:51:53. What is going on now?
After that it takes a few more seconds until I see X windows.

curaga:
It might be more useful to take a bootchart ( http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/wiki:bootchart ), as it would show what is happening.

Rich:
Hi SBor

--- Quote ---but the "cp -ais" just creates symlinks per file in the archive, right?
--- End quote ---
Yes. Extensions get mounted under  /tmp/tcloop  and their files get linked into the file system.
Enter   /bin/cp --help   to see what the  -ais  options do.

maro:
A view things come to mind:

* It is difficult to figure out from here whether those delays are due to HW (or driver) recognition or simply large workloads in the file system (e.g. copying of many files). I don't know whether the timestamps in those messages reflect when a task gets started or when its finished.

* There are quite a few extensions that are getting installed at boot time, and one of them contains some kernel modules. It might be a good idea to create a cut down version of your 'onboot.lst' file that only contains an entry of 'usb-serial-KERNEL'. That way it might become clear whether the first "pause" is HW related or more a consequence of the other work the system has to do.
* Have you got a large backup file that needs to be extracted? This might explain the second "pause", and could be tested by avoiding the restoration via the 'norestore' boot code.Generally speaking I'd suggest to remove as many "tasks" from the list your system has to do and add more with subsequent tests, whilst taking note of the boot duration for each of these cases. That way it should become clear which one is the "culprit".

SBor:
Thanks for the answers!

--- Quote from: curaga on April 09, 2012, 09:17:18 AM ---It might be more useful to take a bootchart, as it would show what is happening.

--- End quote ---

First I thought: cool, a newbie asks a question and the answer is: remaster and use a magic tool. Well, it was not as hard as it sounded ;-)
Analysis showed, that 30s is consumed by a "cp" that is called from extension sun-jre7. Without that I almost halfed the boot time, yiiihaaa!
A quick replacement with sun-jre (version 6) leads to a mount error message during boot ("Invalid argument", when trying to load this from AppBrowser)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version