WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: nload  (Read 6144 times)

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
nload
« on: April 06, 2012, 03:29:02 PM »
Hello

In the app called "nload" it shows me the amount and speed of "data" passing through my ethernet
web connection.

What is the command to reset everything to zero....so as to measure traffic for a particual TCL web session

i stream many hours of internet radio at 320kbps and many hours of video web cams

V.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: nload
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 03:39:48 PM »
Hi cast-fish
Install the  man.tcz  extension and then enter   man nload

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 03:55:38 PM »
ok i will

V

Offline maro

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 08:37:10 PM »
As alternative to reading the man page for a given application (with the caveat that the required file might be in a "*-doc.tcz" extension) I find myself heading over to http://linux.die.net for a quick look there (e.g. finding this one).

Mind you this approach can have the downside that the online man-page is for a different (e.g. older) version of the tool in question. But in most cases I've found what I was looking for.

With the information gained from reading the man page I'm pretty sure that a counter reset is not (yet) available via 'nload'. A bit of searching leads to articles like this one, that suggest that one would have to un-install and re-install the driver for the NIC (plus reconfigure it) to achieve a resetting of the counters. There are other pages, which indicate that this strategy might not work in all circumstances.

In my little test (with 'nload' running whilst dropping the driver) I saw that the reported value for 'Ttl:' jumped to '4.00 GBytes', which required a restart of 'nload' to properly recognize the reset counters. I therefore think that a rather simple amendment to 'nload' would be required to achieve the intended outcome.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 02:07:12 AM »
Maybe xnetload could  do what you need:
http://pwet.fr/man/linux/commandes/xnetload
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 09:26:08 AM »
yes....nload does not have a counter reset

but that recommendation from Tinypoodle does. I will need to compile a .tcs of it

thanks

V

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 05:41:56 PM »
Counter starts at program start.
You could even have multiple instances running, each one starting from zero at a different point in time   ;)
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)