WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Extension Request - PortableLinuxApps.org core/base extension  (Read 3214 times)

Offline ibaloo

Everything is in the title ;-)

Yes, I think it could be really great to have a PortableLinuxApps core/base extension in order to run Apps from portablelinuxapps.org. Many of them depends on a GNOME basis from what I've understood. I successfully ran VLC from portableapps.org adding some tiny core extensions, but it would be helpfull to have just ONE extension that add all the needed libraries to run ALL portableapps.

I know it's not really in the philosophy of tiny core linux, but I really think TinyCore + PortableApps would perfectly match together, and could definitely improve the linux experience for beginners.

I dislike ALL package managers, rpm, apt, synaptic, yum and so on. Even AppsAudit is a pain to use. If I had time I would compile ALL my application in -static mode. Even if I know it's stupid. I don't care about hard disk or memory space, I barely use more than 4 apps in the same time. But I just can't stand having an error message running an app or having half of the features of a program because a  >:( packager >:( did not include a 4 ko library...

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
Re: Extension Request - PortableLinuxApps.org core/base extension
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 09:16:55 AM »
But I just can't stand having an error message running an app or having half of the features of a program because a  >:( packager >:( did not include a 4 ko library...

If your issue is a buggy extension, help to fix its bug instead of looking for another bug.

BTW what you are looking for are SCM extensions in TC terms.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 09:18:36 AM by bmarkus »
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline AbNoRMiS

• nothing can be impeccable in this imperfect world
    • @ß№®M!$
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 06:55:44 PM »
this extension that allows run the vast majority applications
from portablelinuxapps.org already exists in the repo
this is gnome-desktop-base.tcz

maybe yet will need to do the following
Code: [Select]
chmod a+rw /dev/fuse
chmod a+x /usr/bin/fusermount
for other applications that do not run
need to find a missing dependencies
if they are present in the repo
it is very easy to do
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 07:04:25 PM by AbNoRMiS »
Basic Design Concept © @ß№®M!$
please forgive my terrible english :)

Offline ibaloo

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 01:46:32 AM »
But I just can't stand having an error message running an app or having half of the features of a program because a  >:( packager >:( did not include a 4 ko library...

If your issue is a buggy extension, help to fix its bug instead of looking for another bug.

BTW what you are looking for are SCM extensions in TC terms.

You're right Markus, this is basically the way to improve TC... but I'm lazy... and there are only few scm packages whereas there are a HUDGE amount of Appimages on portablelinuxapps.org. You can't try an app within 5 minutes, use it or leave it. It's quick, it's dirt in term of bandwith usage and security updates, but I like it that way  ;D

Offline ibaloo

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 01:59:53 AM »
this extension that allows run the vast majority applications
from portablelinuxapps.org already exists in the repo
this is gnome-desktop-base.tcz

maybe yet will need to do the following
Code: [Select]
chmod a+rw /dev/fuse
chmod a+x /usr/bin/fusermount
for other applications that do not run
need to find a missing dependencies
if they are present in the repo
it is very easy to do

Thank you AbNoRMiS ! I've already found the trick for Fuse, I needed it to run the VLC appimage  ;). Now I have the "Freebox TV" working properly in Internet part of VLC media browser, whereas it's impossible with the vlc.scm or vlc.tcz packages.

I'll take a look at gnome-desktop-base.tcz files. Hope I won't get the FULL gnome-package as in Ubuntu or Fedora cause i'm using openbox and I hate taskbars, launchers, docks and systrays and don't want them to pollute my pure and clear desktop.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 02:02:49 AM by ibaloo »

Offline ibaloo

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 03:11:17 AM »
+200 dependancies for gnome-desktop-base.tcz... argh... got an heart attack...

So, well, I've installed the gnome-desktop-base.tcz package and now I DO think a portablelinuxapps.org CORE extension would be a GREAT idea  ;D

To get the vlc appimage working properly I only needed 2 libs if i remember well : lifbfuse.so and taglib.so... not 143 Mb...

portablelinuxapps.org is not very clear on what is basically really needed on the system to run appimages. They only talk of a Fedora or Ubuntu basis.

Since I only need 3 applications working perfectly which are FULL Google Chrome (and not chromium), FULL vlc (with FLAC support, etc...) and libreoffice, I think I must consider compiling them in -static mode. Everything else is working fine on TC with TC's utils.

It's just stupid to have an ubutu system JUST to build appimages or static apps for TC  :-\

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 05:55:47 AM »
We do have libreoffice? And Chrome binary from google should run with just some deps?
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.