Tiny Core Extensions > TCE Bugs

Funny colors on opera Browser

(1/2) > >>

kagashe:
Hi,

I have downloaded tinycore_1.0rc2.iso and running it after copying the iso to /tinycore and adding kernel and initrd lines in /boot/grub/menu.lst as follows:
kernel /tinycore/boot/bzImage tce=hda8
initrd /tinycore/boot/tinycore.gz quiet

I installed opera.tce

Opera is showing funny colors e.g. it is making Ubuntu logo as blue.
I mean it is showing red and brown colors in shades of blue.

kagashe

kagashe:
I discovered that my machine can't go beyond 640x480x16 on Xvesa, although, it works on 1024x768x24 on Xorg. I used Puppy Linux to check.

I thought this was not a bug. Then I found that even after appending vga=7XX corresponding to 640x480x16 the system is booting into 1024x768x32 using Xvesa and showing funny colors.

This is a bug for my hardware.

kagashe

^thehatsrule^:
I wonder if you would need to use the Xfbdev for tinyx, but I don't think there's an extension for that... (could try taking the one from DSL perhaps?)

I saw from the other thread that you were using an intel display chip.  There may be an option in your bios to increase the shared memory given to the video/display chip.  For others, this has helped them use higher screen resolutions without the intel driver.

kagashe:

--- Quote from: ^thehatsrule^ on December 04, 2008, 02:33:33 PM ---I wonder if you would need to use the Xfbdev for tinyx, but I don't think there's an extension for that... (could try taking the one from DSL perhaps?)

I saw from the other thread that you were using an intel display chip.  There may be an option in your bios to increase the shared memory given to the video/display chip.  For others, this has helped them use higher screen resolutions without the intel driver.

--- End quote ---
There is no option in the BIOS. The resolution setting in the Xvesa line was 1024x768x32 which I changed to 1024x768x24 and the colors became normal. The bold fonts in the browser are still ugly and I will try to correct it.

You should still look into the problem how the OS is selecting the resolution for Xvesa or introduce a wizard similar to the one in Puppy Linux.

kagashe

^thehatsrule^:
There's xsetup if you want to configure yours.  I think the hardware reports what it supports though, or else X wouldn't launch, but I'm not sure.  I'm not sure whether or not trying to autoprobe for what seems to be a hardware implementation problem is a good idea.  You can load xorg and configure that like in your other thread if you'd like to.

Perhaps setting the default depth to 24 is a good idea anyways, since I don't think 32 is really used.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version