WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Naming convention for hardware driver?  (Read 1867 times)

Offline coreplayer2

Naming convention for hardware driver?
« on: March 15, 2012, 01:23:35 PM »
Is there a file Naming convention to follow for a hardware driver?

While the firmware for these devices already exists by way of firmware extensions,  I've had to build a couple of kernel mode drivers for RealTek wireless 802.11 b/g/n/ devices for compatibility with the new Linux 3.0.21 kernel used in Core-4.4rc3.  The previously built drivers work only with 2.6.6 and the 3.0.3 kernel's and RealTek has no public release versions since those for 2.6.6 kernel. 

While the new drivers function and perform well, the sources were taken from staging (from a newer 3.024 build, hopefully with more features) yet compiled against the 3.0.21 headers.  Compared to the RealTek versions have been cut down and trimmed of superfluous junk by the maintainers of the linux kernel.  As staging drivers are not exactly the final product I think it's not wise to ask Curaga to integrate them into the existing wireless-3.0.21-tinycore.tcz extension, so until they are fully integrated and tc is using that kernel I think we should keep them separate  (they have been in staging since 3.0.3), unless anyone has any other suggestions I'll just make an extension for each driver and submit them, but what to call them..?

I guess i could follow this trend as in "wireless-3.0.21-tinycore.tcz" like "wireless-3.0.21-rtl81xx.tcz" or something??  Any ideas?  maybe Curaga can advise here?

I had previously considered drivers as firmware, but was wrong in that regard so will have to undo that mistake on a previously made and submitted driver..

Any ideas and or corrections welcome please..
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 03:51:41 PM by coreplayer2 »

Offline coreplayer2

Re: Naming convention for hardware driver?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 02:38:23 PM »
Also there are owner and permission questions?

After compiling a second time, the kernel mode driver rxxxu.ko had tc:staff 644 (executable file type without execute) attributes, is that normal?
after compressing to rxxx.u.ko.gz I set root:root 644  as per other kernel mode drivers
the test extension was built with tc:staff 644 attributes

the above owner and permission attributes appear to work fine and will probably leave it that way pending a better plan??

ps. I've noticed that unless specified, if a file manager was opened in root, the file worked on or created inherits the same attributes as the file manager..  (Maybe I should work more from the command line..)  Meanwhile what's up with that?

Any ideas and or corrections welcome please..
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 03:02:29 PM by coreplayer2 »

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 01:11:48 AM »
wireless-3.0.21-rtl81xx.tcz is ok. The modules should be root:root 644.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 10:34:08 PM »
Thanks curaga,  root:root it shall be..