WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Gobolinux and related ideas  (Read 4348 times)

Offline Alby

Gobolinux and related ideas
« on: December 26, 2011, 12:41:02 AM »
Hi

I read somewhere that Tinycore in some aspects resembles the Gobolinux distro, and I am looking for some confermation of this claim.

I am particularly interested in the possibility of having:
1) self-contained program directories (thus including binaries, libraries and all dependencies)
2) multiple versions of the same program (e.g. XYZ 3.2, XYZ 4.0), each in its own directory

Does Tinycore provide something similar?

Thanks

Alby

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
Re: Gobolinux and related ideas
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 01:31:05 AM »
You can have several TCE directories and you can choose which one to use at boot time. In non persistent use personal settings stored in a single mydata file inside of tce, so you can keep many different variant of the system on a single USB stick if you wish.
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline vinnie

• HandMace informatic works
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 06:51:18 AM »
Even if the system GoboLinux is interesting (and would certainly be a useful feature), I think that what markus says is currently the most useful way.
However, can not fully replace all the types of uses that could be done with the file system management of gobolinux.

Offline netnomad

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 08:20:11 AM »
hello friends,

i agree to vinnie: GoboLinux is interesting, but the main argument against it could be the kind of infrastructure that includes all needed libraries for every package. for compatibility and stability this can be a superior concept.
as fas i understand the system, all the libraries needed for a package are in every package additionally provided.

for my case i use tinycore just on usbsticks ondemand with a very lean mydata.tgz
(just the size of <2mb with lots of configuation files and preconfigured data),
it would take to much time to load all the same libraries again and again for every new package,
or is my presumption wrong?

i would prefer to use the debian-repositories play along!
i guess there are now 27.000 packages with a very high quality standard...

actually i'm very happy with the tinycore-repository:
in a very lean environment i found all what i need for browsing, mailing, grafic, photo-filemanagers,
netttools, filetools, burning, lan-wlan-3g-networking, ssh, mounting different filesystems and shares,
crypting, office, printing, scanning, multimedia, pim, network-analysis, archives, partititoning and so on....

sometimes a fast "aptitude install pkg" could be perhaps fine,
but nevertheless i'm glad about what i have got yet!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 08:22:16 AM by netnomad »

Offline mocore

• ~.~
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2011, 06:48:32 PM »
  imo tiny/micro core gives you less(size of core) but with the "possibility of having"  more to add ( .tcz user-scrpts )

ihave only booted gobo live to take a quick look over the alternative 'filesystem' things
 so i would guess i know more of tiny core than gobo

but from a glance at the website and quick search of the 'Gobo Recipe & Package Search Tool'
and finding 'codebrowser' and downloading CodeBrowser- -recipe.tar.bz2

the first thing i see common with tc is user contributed extension.tcz / package,recipe repository  and use of plain text files
  (tcz .info .tree .dep .list .md5.txt    /  Recipe BuildInformation,Dependencies,Description  ) 

im not aware that TC officially has any thing like recipes +Compile for package building ..
 but i think some comparable unofficial scripts do exist for creating tcz extensions

---
 thanx for the tiny core !
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 07:00:57 PM by dubcore »

Offline shail.dw

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 12:45:50 PM »
I kept Gobolinux for some time on my computer some three years back.

Filesystem management of Gobolinux used to use and relied upon symlinks heavily. That was/is its one main philosophy. Initially I found it something innovative, but later I considered it a bloat. What situation is it today in, I cannot say. But I don't think that that birthmark of Gobo would have passed away. Would it be Gobo then?

There is no comparision between far superior Tinycore philosophy, with that of Gobo. Compactness, have you only what you want philosophy, saving you from system rot, everytime booting as if freshly born, no threat of any change affecting any extension, choice between persistency or no persistency, some nicest boot options not to be found anywhere else, and now a long list of applications, and libraries, that can be gleaned upon.... It has come out of its hidings. It is incomparable so far, surpassing all.

Moreover why forget it is both Linux as well as a Linux-toolkit. Go to learn linux through Linux from Scratch (LFS) ! What a tragedy. They say that before you begin you must have understood and learnt very well linux manpages. If one had learned those man pages, one would be creating his own house and not be a hired carpenter with LFS. But come to TCL. It teaches a newcomer many things naturally, automatically, and makes him a system administrator, not a menial. That is where Philosophy differs from sermons. It is true to everything said in core concepts. Even Barry has deviated, whom I admired first (I mean Puppy Linux). Slackware ? As if competing only for size and nothing else matters. Ha ha ha. I can compare with every distro.

A bmarkus: Even if one could have different tce directories in Tinycore, who will want do that? That could be an answer only for answer's sake, never in reality. But, I want to put that question back to Gobo, where it is/was indeed reality, my one reason to abandon it. It is like keeping with keen interest my old worn out shirts at home, than throwing them away !

Only in one way a new crucial development has taken place in the world of Unix. And its author is "again" no one but Andrew S. Tanenbaum, who has come out with Minix3, and whom I consider the real progenitor of Linux itself. They say what is an Alexander without an Aristotle; and latter has again shown his worth, while Linux I suppose has lagged him. But that is a topic I would like to be opened elsewhere. Here I was to compare Gobo with Tinycore, and I am for the latter.

Offline shail.dw

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 01:17:25 PM »
Alby and dubcore: I say similarities are superficial. Back to philosophy. Every mammal has a mouth, a head, two eyes, two ears, one nose ...... The real change as I said is the birth of Minix3. Minix became Linux, and now Linux must be back to Minix3. The best thing is that it is not difficult. That is at least what I concieve.

PS: I said even Barry has deviated. Tinycore is made in such way that it cannot let now even its author deviate. ;D