WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Startup script ownership  (Read 2730 times)

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
Startup script ownership
« on: March 07, 2012, 11:03:34 PM »
By default TC creates the zero length files in /usr/local/tce.installed with 775 permissions and root.staff owner. However startup scripts are mixing 775 and 755 permission and root.staff/tc.staff ownerships.

As far as I remember latest official was tc.staff and 755. What is the story now?
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: Startup script ownership
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 08:44:02 AM »
Hi bmarkus
According to the WIKI page:
Important step before you move on:
chown -R root:staff /tmp/package/usr/local/tce.installed
chmod -R 775 /tmp/package/usr/local/tce.installed

Offline maro

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 01:10:46 PM »
Yeah, but keep in mind that Robert tends to draw a line in stating that the Wiki is community driven. To me that means that I personally don't take the Wiki as gospel. IMHO it's rather an indication of what someone (not necessarily a member of the Core team) found appropriate to publish at some point in time. That means it might be outdated or was potentially never correct in the first place. OTOH I pay due attention to forum posts by the respective Core team members. So I think an answer here to the OP question would still not go amiss.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 02:21:54 PM »
Hi maro
OK, if you check the   submitqc   script used to audit extensions written by JasonW, it matches the WIKI.

Offline shail.dw

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 08:47:08 AM »
Rich got first.

He already has stated this problem under TCB talk; Topic- File/Directory ownerships changed in /home after reboot, a week ago. http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,12672.0.html

There he gleaned that some system startup script is interfering. And also wanted to check setupHome() function in tc-funtions, which he spoke to me as having a recursive chown command:
for  /home/"$USER"/

I have not been able to check it for now. But now this issue has been observed by bmarkus as well. I don't have the knowledge of past, as I became serious with tinycore with ver. 4.3 only; though I first came across it no less than two yrs back. Me tragic !

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 08:53:45 AM »
Pelase discuss /home ownership in a different thread, it is offtopic here. It is about only startup scricpts in /usr/local/tce.installed.
Béla

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 08:55:14 AM »
Rich got first.

He already has stated this problem under TCB talk; Topic- File/Directory ownerships changed in /home after reboot, a week ago. http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,12672.0.html

Pelase discuss /home ownership in a different thread, it is offtopic here. It is about only startup scricpts in /usr/local/tce.installed.
Béla

Offline shail.dw

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 08:58:28 AM »
OK. It was because I have not yet gone through entire Tinycore structure yet.