WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: issues with remote computing  (Read 2944 times)

Offline feddozz

issues with remote computing
« on: March 01, 2012, 03:17:27 AM »
Hi all

I have a TC machine connected to a TV. My aim is to control the TC box from the laptop. To achieve this I intend to use the TC box as a server and  for example play movies on it launching them from the laptop, in other words  a very sophisticated remote control.

I tried running SSH deamon on the TC box. I managed to connect to i but when I launch for example
Code: [Select]
mplayer -fs -zoom film.avi I only get a black screen on the TC box. It looks as if the command is run locally on the laptop and it is missing codecs or drivers. Nedless to say that if i do this locally from the server it works.

I tried running tightvnc server on the TC box but the movie gets played on the laptop rather than the server.

Do you have any suggestions, apart from using a cordless mouse? Could you help with the problems above?

Thanks
f

Online Juanito

• Administrator
Re: issues with remote computing
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 03:25:54 AM »
I don't know if this would be useful, but you could use rygel to stream the movies on the tc machine connected to the tv and control it using gupnp-av-cp on the laptop

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 04:39:02 AM »
Check your outputs. If you're using X, set the DISPLAY variable to the local display (and not ssh's transferred one) and make sure your user has permissions to use the screen.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline feddozz

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 04:55:04 AM »
I forgot to mention that I am using shh and tightvnc separately at the moment. I won't try tunnelling tightvnc before it works.

@ curaga
Check your outputs. If you're using X, set the DISPLAY variable to the local display (and not ssh's transferred one) and make sure your user has permissions to use the screen

I presume you refer to SSH. Correct?

@Juanito The project looks interesting but the website does not lend itself to non expert user. I'll have to dig a bit for info

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 06:27:58 AM »
Yes, in a ssh session X apps are by default tunneled through the connection.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Online Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 07:05:16 AM »
@Juanito The project looks interesting but the website does not lend itself to non expert user. I'll have to dig a bit for info

To set up streaming you need rygel and as many gst-plugins deps as required to play the movies you're interested in. Then (approximately):

1. Use rygel-preferences to point to the folder with the movies in.
2. Start rygel using "rygel &"
3. Load gupnp-tools and start gupnp-av-cp to play a movie locally
4. Start gupnp-av-cp remotely to play a move

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 01:11:50 PM »
Mplayer does not require X.

Offline SamK

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 11:58:30 PM »
Hi feddozz,

I tried running tightvnc server on the TC box but the movie gets played on the laptop rather than the server.
On the machine attached to the TV (server machine) it might be worth using x11vnc as the VNC server instead of tightvnc.

The main advantage in your scenario is that by default it controls display 0 on the server machine.  This is the display that you would use if you had the usual set-up of keyboard, mouse and monitor attached to the server machine.

On the laptop machine tightvnc (or many other VNC viewers) may be used to control the server machine screen.  You might want to take a look at SSVNC which is an optional partner to x11vnc.  This how-to shows them both used together.  It probably covers more ground than you need, but might help.  Simply disregard the sections you do not require.
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,12430.0.html

If your laptop is running an operating system other than Tinycore, you might find that SSVNC can be installed directly from their repository using their usual installation tool.

Edit: correct typo
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 12:05:50 AM by SamK »

Offline feddozz

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 10:48:51 AM »
Thanks I'll try X11vnc

Offline feddozz

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 09:17:43 AM »
Thanks, X11vnc worked!

I noticed that the only time I used it, no sound seemed to come out of the server, thoug. I had to reboot. I need to investigate, I did not have time yet.
I'll keep you posted