WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: wbar labels missing spaces  (Read 2133 times)

nomer

wbar labels missing spaces
« on: February 29, 2012, 02:06:23 PM »
I'm running tc 4.1

I believe that I have found a bug.
The problem is that when an extension contains a .desktop file and the value of the "Name=" field contains multiple words, the script(s) which load(s) the extension strip out the spaces. (e.g. a .desktop file with "Name=My Program" will have the label "MyProgram" in wbar.)
(Note: Of course, if the *.desktop file doesn't have proper "X-FullIconPath=" entry, then there will be no icon.)

This is not a problem with wbar because I can edit /usr/local/tce.icons and reinsert the missing spaces; I can then right-click on wbar to restart it and the labels are then correct. Of course, I'm not going to add /usr/local/tce.icons to my backup because this file is supposed to be generated at system start up.

I'm not very good at reading scripts, but I think that the problem lies somewhere in wbar_setup.sh or wbar_update.sh

You can see this for yourself by installing parole.tcz. It is 14 MB with all the dependencies, but I think that most people already have many of the things that it depends on.

Offline coreplayer2

Re: wbar labels missing spaces
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 02:21:37 PM »
I build all my extensions with an underscore between_words to overcome this behavior, or use a single word

nomer

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 02:46:15 PM »
@coreplayer2
Yes, if people are aware of the problem it is easily worked around. Actually, using relatively short labels is probably a good idea since it will prevent labels from being cut off* when the user is using a vertical bar.
Despite these things, a bug is a bug and IMO should be fixed.

*P.S. To illustrate what I mean when I say that the label is "cut off", I've attached an image of it.
       Note how the leftmost part of the "A" in "AppBrowser" is missing.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 11:25:50 PM »
Cosmetic only no real impact to operation. Therefore, I don't consider it a bug. Besides it was by design to have more consistent labels with the base icons and to at least attempt to shorten the labels which you also complain about.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

nomer

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 02:14:20 PM »
Okay, I can live with this setup. I'll make a note a note of this fact here.