WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: SCM allowed dependencies  (Read 4326 times)

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
SCM allowed dependencies
« on: February 29, 2012, 08:31:08 AM »
In order to keep in line with the self contained concept, scm dependencies should be kept to a minimum.  The only dependency that an scm should have is one of the large toolkits or maybe python.  Things like alsa/OSS, flash, are optional and can just be mentioned in the info file.  The team has agreed that no tcz's should be in the dep file of an scm, only other scms can be included.  Below is the current list of allowed dependencies.  In the future, other candidates will be judiciously considered.

python2.7.scm, python3.2.scm, gtk2.scm, gtk3.scm, qt4.scm (if and when it materializes). 

These are the allowed set of deps, but is always ok to build these toolkits into any scm to eliminate any external dependency.  With TC, we have a challenge in creating self contained apps that is not seen in larger distros, since things like gtk2/gtk3, qt, python, perl, etc, etc are usually part of what larger distros consider their standard system.  Therefore our making use of a shared scm of a large toolkits makes the self contained process easier and more efficient in their creation and runtime use. 

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
Re: SCM allowed dependencies
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 08:41:41 AM »
What is about Perl?
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 08:43:25 AM »
I would say Perl would also be allowed as a dep.  I will look more into perl and it's implications as an scm.

Oh, also, tczs can be a build time dependency of scm's, of course, the above list applies to runtime deps.

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 08:47:30 AM »
How would you add modules to an SCM version of perl?  There would be no writeable directory.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 09:56:10 AM »
When writable space is needed, a symlink to /opt/scm/appname can be used.

Also, when an app contains perl modules, I think they can be like python where PYTHONPATH can include the location of the python modules in the scm that depends on python.

I will provide a working example one way or another in the near future.