WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: intermittent sound/flash issue  (Read 2279 times)

Offline thejones

intermittent sound/flash issue
« on: January 25, 2012, 05:41:51 PM »
Ok, here's the deal.

I have a fresh install of core plus, running from a 4gig USB stick, on a Compaq v6120us. Nothing fancy. I installed chromium for a web browser, and then installed flash11 and oss. That's when things got weird.

I get/don't get sound on youtube videos, seemingly at random. On some videos the sound works, and on others it doesn't, and I can't see a correlation/pattern to it. It's not just certain users, or quality settings. Like I said, it seems to be random, but I don't see how that possible.

I doubt anyone is going to have a magic pill, but a little help on where to start would be very much appreciated.

I've already read through the FAQ, and I have searched the forums. There are similar flash/sound issue out there, but I didn't see anything quite like this.

Any ideas?

Thanks for looking.

Offline AmatCoder

• AmatCoder Projects
Re: intermittent sound/flash issue
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 07:48:11 PM »
Sometimes, Youtube uses HTML5 player instead Flash player...You can see which is used with right-click on the video.

And you can change this behaviour here:
http://www.youtube.com/html5

Problem is that Chromium does not support OSS, you need alsa for HTML5 sound playback:
http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=19470

Firefox does not either.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: intermittent sound/flash issue
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 03:32:09 AM »
With Firefox, it used to be that the sound lib they use does have OSS support, but it can only compile support for one type in - they default to alsa for obvious reasons.

I don't know if this is still the case, but if so, one can build an OSS firefox by editing the sound library's header.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.