General TC > General TC Talk

TC Xorg installation strategy

(1/6) > >>

Yleisajattelija:
I have used TC few months now. We have tried few TC installations to workstations and laptotps. TC+Xvesa installation is solid, but basic problem is that vesa standard is not updated anymore, so new motherboard (Intel DZ68DB) current BIOS is missing resolutions for 9/16 -LCD-displays.

So, Xorg have to be installed, but that rarely works at this moment on TC installation. Probably this is not TC -problem, I think that Xorg+X-stack is not working, as usual.

What is a solution? Xorg supplies source codes only.  Xorg-source compiling is distro staff work, I think.

Didn't found TC Xorg/X-stack display drivers installation/config docs, is there any?

Juanito:
I have two machines with intel graphics hardware - which is notoriously buggy - and for the first time, with Xorg-7.6, both of them work "confless".

Did you try the above scenario (xf86-video-intel needs to be loaded)?

Yleisajattelija:
One problem is that we eventually got one old Intel 815/915-whatever-oldtimer-chip installation working by SEPARATELLY loading that xf86-video.intel driver before Xorg (I'm not sure if this was true reason for this "unexpected win", maybe we accidentally changed newer TC version at same time)

I think think is NOT Xorg meant to be, they presume loading automatically ALL drivers, needed or not. I personally prefer semi-automatic installation, which you can select installed driver manually.

Anyway, TC Xorg installation docs are not valid at this moment. I'm not The best person to document TC X-stack. Someone knows better, documentation (desperately) needed.

Juanito:

--- Quote from: Yleisajattelija on January 19, 2012, 04:20:30 AM ---One problem is that we eventually got one old Intel 815/915-whatever-oldtimer-chip installation ...

--- End quote ---

You can use Xvesa + 915resolution with this hardware to get the required resolution

curaga:
If the chip is i8xx, Intel has dropped support a while ago. On those chips vesa may even work better than the intel driver.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version