Tiny Core Base > TCB Bugs

wavemon and tinycore kernel

(1/2) > >>

gerrit:
A user reported two problems with wavemon, one of them I could fix

* no informative help (-h/-v) if no interfaces found<br>
    This is fixed in eden-feed.erg.abdn.ac.uk/wavemon/wavemon-current.tar.bz2
    which is based on the current stable release 0.7.3

* wirelss interfaces are loaded (show up in iwconfig), but are not present in /proc/net/wireless
The second issue was the original problem. wavemon is (like iwlist and iwconfig) based on the wireless
extensions. Testing with the Core Plus 4.2 distribution, the iwl3945 network interface was (including the
firmware) loaded, but was not listed in /proc/net/wireless. It could therefore not be found by wavemon,
which complained that no wireless interfaces were found.
I had a quick look over the 3.0.3 kernel .config, it has the WEXT/WIRELESS_EXT enabled, but it could be
that there is just one more tweak necessary to bring the wireless interfaces back into /proc/net/wireless

Could someone please have a look at this issue?

Here is the output from a 3.2.0-rc7 kernel with the same laptop  and iwl3945 driver:

--- Code: (bash) ---Inter-| sta-|   Quality        |   Discarded packets               | Missed | WE
 face | tus | link level noise |  nwid  crypt   frag  retry   misc | beacon | 22
 wlan0: 0000    0     0     0        0      0      0      0      0        0
--- End code ---

bmarkus:
According to your post it has nothing to do with Wavemon. Your subject is misleading.

curaga:
CONFIG_WEXT_PROC=y which should handle that. Perhaps a bug instead of a config option miss.

gerrit:
Sorry for the late reply. The subject was misleading since I was not clear what exactly the cause had been. The described setting for /proc
is in the tiny core configuration. Found the cause of the problem by recompiling a kernel using the tinycore 3.0.3 configuration.

The cause for wavemon not being able to find the interfaces is that /proc/net/wireless may exist, but may not list all wireless interfaces.
I have fixed this problem in the current development release of wavemon on eden-feed.erg.abdn.ac.uk/wavemon/wavemon-current.tar.bz2
Tested and verified that this fix works with the tinycore configuration as well as with other configurations.

That fix is needed to make wavemon work on tinycore linux; the package for wavemon should be updated.
(If it is of any help, there will be a new stable release of wavemon (0.7.4) containing this fix Monday next week.)

Gerrit

bmarkus:
Hi Gerrit,

thanks for the info. I'm preferring to wait stable release and then update package.

Regards... Béla

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version