I installed today 4.2.1 on a pentium 4 (RAM 1GB, HDD 80GB, nvidia card, Wifi). Here is my experience. And perhaps few wishes.
- I missed a line /xxx/.filetool.lst in .filetool.lst (at the second boot, I discovered my backup was not correctly done because this line was not there)
- I could not use fluxbox because it did not accept the background (flwm_topside is fine with the backgrounds)
- I missed a functionning GPARTED in the muticore.iso (after installing TC on the full HDD, I could not make a SWAP and new home partition because only 1 partition was made and it was locked from the boot sequence). Perhaps create a 2(?)GB maximum partition in case of HDD full install? the (2) GBs could be asked per menu in the TC-install extension?. I know, I should have partitionned with GPARTED before the HDD install, but I forgot it, and in this case I used a knoppix CD because it has GPARTED from the beginning and it was easier for me with an existing knoppix CD I had.
- put a new menu in the CD boot menu? PLOP boot loader would be great.. it would have helped me in starting my SD card from the USB adapter (my BIOS did not recognized my SD on USB adapter). Instead of this, I choosed to boot knoppix, burned a CD with multicore.iso and then started TC from it. Using an USB or a SD/CF on USB in the future could avoid burning CDs. This PLOP boot loader would only take a bit space on the CD. Or perhaps I should have simply used another CD (UBCD?) with PLOP on it. But in any case, all future TCL isos could have plop.
- I started with a PS2 mouse. Later changed to an USB mouse. No issue at all.
- Wifi: perfect recognized
- Boot speed: very very good
The mother of the family will be happy.. she wanted to throw away this slow winXP PC. I convinced her to give it to me for a try. Now, it is very very good. And I give it back for her children (12..17).