WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: a patch for Radeon AGP is required  (Read 2188 times)

Offline galaxy

a patch for Radeon AGP is required
« on: January 08, 2012, 02:33:40 AM »
Hello,

I'm not sure that this is the right place to post it, since it's more an enhancement request than a bug in TCL.  The supplied with the latest TCL 4.x kernel doesn't support video acceleration on some ATI radeon boards with the following error in dmesg:

agpgart: efficeon_insert_memory(0, 1)
[TTM] AGP Bind memory failed.
radeon 0000:01:00.0: object_init failed for (4096, 0x00000002)
radeon 0000:01:00.0: (-22) create WB bo failed
radeon 0000:01:00.0: Disabling GPU acceleration

I've Google'd for this error and found a patch kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/linux-kernel/2010/9/28/4625677/thread).  Well, it fixes the issue on amd-k7 only, other chipsets still have the issue.  For example, these guys have implemented a similar patch for hp_agp: (permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ports.ia64/21830).

So, I went ahead and created a patch for efficeon-agp (attached).  Could you please be so kind and include this patch to your next kernel build?  This will likely solve the issue with all HP Thin Clients series t5000 .

P.S. the restrictions on this board are paranoid to the level it make a poster reassess their willingness to contribute (e.g. multi-level captcha for any post, disallowing anything that looks like a link, etc.).  I spent 15 minutes trying to reformat my message before the system allowed it.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: a patch for Radeon AGP is required
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 02:41:51 AM »
I see the hp_agp one is in linus' tree, but the efficeon one is not. Please poke the agp maintainer too about this.

Since the similar patch is upstream, we can include the efficeon one, but it might be a while until we refresh our kernel. We've usually stuck to one version per cycle.

We've had a bit of a spam problem in the past, can you tell? ;)
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline galaxy

Re: a patch for Radeon AGP is required
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 07:18:48 PM »
I see the hp_agp one is in linus' tree, but the efficeon one is not. Please poke the agp maintainer too about this.

OK, I'll test the patch extensively and will report on LKML then.  However, if you are going to release an updated kernel before that I'd appreciate it if you include the patch to make my life with 20 hp t5xxx easier :))