WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: TC 4.1 wbar setup hiccups when ${TCEDIR} is not mounted  (Read 1850 times)

Offline philip

TC 4.1 wbar setup hiccups when ${TCEDIR} is not mounted
« on: December 25, 2011, 08:25:48 AM »
My office machine runs TC 24/7/365. I boot TC from a USB stick. After booting, the system is all in RAM, so I unmount the stick and unplug it. This is super-secure: my base installation is guaranteed hack-proof, and can be restored with a reboot. Of course I have a firewall, too, so I seldom actually reboot ... usually only after a session of updating applications, which typically accompanies an exciting new TC release. Instead I have a password set for user tc, and I take care to log out of the graphic session (select "Exit to Prompt") and the virtual terminal session (command "exit") when the machine is unattended.This is a reasonable way to use TC.

When I log in to the machine later, the system is in RAM and no devices at all are mounted. This makes trouble for /usr/local/bin/wbar_setup.sh. It goes looking for /etc/sysconfig/tcedir/xwbar.lst, and that's a symbolic link to a file the TCE directory. But now the TCE directory is in my pocket, invisible to the system, so I get, "touch: /etc/sysconfig/tcedir/xwbar.lst: no such file or directory".

I think the quoted error message suggests a perturbation in TC's most admirable all-in-RAM design philosophy and/or implementation. Operationally it's no big deal (wbar seems to start anyway), but I think the general issue is worth mentioning to the experts -- for whose work I remain, as ever, sincerely grateful.