General TC > General TC Talk

core2usb - USB installer for Windows

<< < (5/21) > >>

coreplayer2:
so bmarkus, I'm concerned as to what exactly is wrong with Universal-USB-Installer, since I use the tool exclusively, even today many times producing USB's with seemingly fully functioning tc 4.2 installs.  if there is some feature of tc4.2.1 which is not supported I'd kinda like to know what that is I'm  missing please.

Am looking forward to using your installer app too soon

bmarkus:

--- Quote from: coreplayer2 on January 14, 2012, 12:14:47 AM ---so bmarkus, I'm concerned as to what exactly is wrong with Universal-USB-Installer, since I use the tool exclusively, even today many times producing USB's with seemingly fully functioning tc 4.2 installs.  if there is some feature of tc4.2.1 which is not supported I'd kinda like to know what that is I'm  missing please.

--- End quote ---

If you are happy with universal installer or any other, just use it. It's a free world.

vinnie:
@coreplayer2 There is at least one difference, unetbootin encapsulates the boot menu in another submenu, Instead core2usb install natively.
This means that if you use the customizzation "tinycore" you can skip the intermediate step with coreplus (unless you need the wifi)

bmarkus:

--- Quote from: vinnie on January 14, 2012, 04:42:26 AM ---@coreplayer2 There is at least one difference, unetbootin encapsulates the boot menu in another submenu, Instead core2usb install natively.
This means that if you use the customizzation "tinycore" you can skip the intermediate step with coreplus (unless you need the wifi)

--- End quote ---

Regarding unetbootin, it is adding core.gz and vmlinuz to the USB additionally as ubninit and ubnkern, so you have them twice which is unnecesary. Also, boot doubling bootmenu items. This overhead do not offer any benefit, just wasting storage space.

bmarkus:

--- Quote from: coreplayer2 on January 14, 2012, 12:14:47 AM ---so bmarkus, I'm concerned as to what exactly is wrong with Universal-USB-Installer, since I use the tool exclusively, even today many times producing USB's with seemingly fully functioning tc 4.2 installs.  if there is some feature of tc4.2.1 which is not supported I'd kinda like to know what that is I'm  missing please.

--- End quote ---

Universal-USB-Installer

- copies isolinux.bin and isolinux.cfg to the USB but they are not used, as syslinux installed, they are not needed
- original boot config not used but replaced universal's own boot
- overwrites volume label; can't switch off; label is used during boot which is not necessary
- do not handle tce dir, if you want to use created USB stick you must tweak manually after installation

Otherwise nothing wrong.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version