WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Same set of files from Tinycore and other distros (file ownership issues)  (Read 4958 times)

Offline florian

• Home Page
I am booting several Linux distros on my computer and would like to access all my files from one single place independently from the distro which I use.

Files on the partition I use for my data have 1000:1000 numerical ownership. But in Tiny Core Linux (and Damn Small Linux too), files that I create are 1001:50. How could I do it so that I can work on the same set of files from all the different distro?

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Administrator
Re: Same set of files from Tinycore and other distros (file ownership issues)
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 05:34:04 PM »
You could change the numbers themselves (ie look in /etc/passwd then chown your ~ files) or create a 1000 group and use group permissions or...

Offline mikshaw

Re: Same set of files from Tinycore and other distros (file ownership issues)
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 07:00:22 PM »
...or use the usermod command to modify the UID and GID of each user in its respective distro.  This is what I've done, and it works well so far.

I haven't checked what user "tc" is yet, but in my current setup I have two distros in which the regular user.group is 1001.50 to be compatible with Damn Small (it was easier to set my Debian user persistently to use the same IDs as the non-persistent  DSL).  If those IDs are different in TC I'll probably add a TC bootlocal command to change that, since all of my persistent files are already owned by 1001.50