General TC > General TC Talk

Source Code Tarball

<< < (2/3) > >>

Juanito:

--- Quote from: crankypuss on March 04, 2012, 02:38:57 AM ---I'm no expert on the legalisms, but offhand I would say that TinyCore is massively out of compliance.

--- End quote ---

The source code for the extensions is found in, for example:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/4.x/x86/tcz/src

..but  maybe you were thinking we were out of compliance for another reason?

Guy:

--- Quote ---I've recently been considering the idea of a new "distro"
--- End quote ---

If you do decide to make a new distro, use Tinycore long enough to understand how it works, and incoporate ideas from Tinycore.

In particular the frugal installation. The operating system and apps are read-only, which greatly reduces the likelihood of filesystem corruption.

Rich:
Hi crankypuss

--- Quote ---If you are looking for a tarball containing the source for the 3500+ applications, there is none.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---According to the GPL, if you distribute the binaries you must also distribute the "corresponding source" code.
--- End quote ---
I didn't say the sources for extensions was not available, only that they are not all packed into one massive file.

--- Quote ---keep using Linux but not contributing because of the risibility of the required license.
--- End quote ---
If you wish to compile and submit an existing program GPL program, just include the the source with the submission.
If you wish to submit a program you wrote yourself, decide on how you want to license it. If you go with GPL, include
the source with the submission, otherwise, you don't have to.
That should satisfy compliance on your part.

crankypuss:

--- Quote from: Juanito on March 04, 2012, 03:26:21 AM ---
--- Quote from: crankypuss on March 04, 2012, 02:38:57 AM ---I'm no expert on the legalisms, but offhand I would say that TinyCore is massively out of compliance.

--- End quote ---

The source code for the extensions is found in, for example:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/4.x/x86/tcz/src

..but  maybe you were thinking we were out of compliance for another reason?

--- End quote ---

Apparently I misunderstood Rich's post where he said "If you are looking for a tarball containing the source for the 3500+ applications, there is none."

Thans Juanito.

crankypuss:

--- Quote from: Guy on March 04, 2012, 03:52:41 AM ---
--- Quote ---I've recently been considering the idea of a new "distro"
--- End quote ---

If you do decide to make a new distro, use Tinycore long enough to understand how it works, and incoporate ideas from Tinycore.

In particular the frugal installation. The operating system and apps are read-only, which greatly reduces the likelihood of filesystem corruption.

--- End quote ---

Thanks Guy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version