WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: I would love to install bottlerocket on my TC  (Read 2253 times)

Offline fidolo

I would love to install bottlerocket on my TC
« on: April 07, 2012, 10:14:10 PM »
This may be of interest to the techno-nostalgics among TC users.  I am still using X10 hardware modules and the bottlerocket program to drive them.   It's an old technology, but it's still around, and it just works.   Could someone build a bottlerocket.tcz package?   The new computers you can buy in the stote today no longer have serial ports, but bottlerocket is a riot on old hardware, and it waters the plant and turns on the porch light as prescribed in cron!

Offline solorin

. . . if you don't know, now you know. . .
        ----- R.I.P. Biggie Smalls -----

Offline fidolo

Re: I would love to install bottlerocket on my TC
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 02:06:05 PM »
Solorin, Thanks for the link.  This is way above my head and my level of experience at this point.  I do hope to master that sort thing some day, though.

Offline solorin

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 11:58:37 PM »
You can do it. It's very much read, and then copy and paste the instructions into your terminal for the most part.

The wiki breaks it down really well. But even shorter 1) you compile the program, then 2) you put it where tc can find it. There's a 3) write some metadata, if you want to submit it and share it with all of us, which is nice but you don't necessarily have to do that.

There is some variation in how people package their sources, but you'll learn as you go along. Most small things build without fuss. For large things you just have to make sure you have all the right dependencies downloaded from appbrowser.

cheerio,
solorin
. . . if you don't know, now you know. . .
        ----- R.I.P. Biggie Smalls -----

Offline fidolo

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 10:32:37 AM »
Thanks, Solorin.   I will go ahead and follow the instructions.

Offline konaexpress

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 01:56:26 PM »
I can feel the burn already............

umm..........how about a GUI for us knuckle heads (Me) I would like to give this a shot, just need to know what is not excepted. Like maybe QT, GTK3, Windows api's and that kind of stuff or whatever. ;D
Swing hard in case you hit it!

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 05:12:43 PM »
Hi konaexpress
I suspect pretty much any GUI package you use will be acceptable. Using one that is already available under TC would
would be easier than porting a GUI package in addition to writing an application.