The first release candidate of Core 4.2 is ready for public testing:http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/tinycorelinux/4.x/x86/release_candidates
Main theme for 4.2 relase is to focus on the Core.
With the Core Project one starts with the kernel (vmlinuz) and the core
MicroCore is simply the kernel + core.gz This is the foundation for user created desktops.
TinyCore is simply the kernel + core.gz + Xvesa.tcz|Xorg.tcz + (user's choice of Window Manager) + (optionally wbar.tcz)
The original TinyCore becomes simply an example of what the Core Project can produce, an 11MB desktop.
4.2 also intoduces CorePlus a simple way to get started using the Core philosophy in allowing easy
embedded frugal or pendrive installation of the user's choice of supported desktop, while maintaining the
Core principal of mounted extensions with full package management.
* Updated tce-setup to use /tmp/builtin for embedded initrd extensions. Changed from /opt/tce
* Updated cpanel to only activate Xvesa button if Xvesa is loaded.
* Updated exittc default focus on OK button for quicker use from keyboard.
* Updated mntttol to call rebuildfstab.
* Updated base for move of /opt/.tce_dir to a link at /etc/sysconfig/tcedir which includes the following:
tce-load, tce-run, tce-setdrive, tce-size, tce-audit, filetool.sh, tce-setup, ondemand, tce-update,
.profile, tc-config, rc.shutdown, appbrowser, appsaudit, exittc, flwm_topside_ondemand,
.setbackground, wbarconf, wbar_update.sh, wbar_setup.sh.
* Updated the following system X/GUI extensions:
Xvesa,tcz, Xlibs.tcz, Xprogs,tcz, flwm_topside.tcz, flwm.tcz, and wbar.tcz.
* Updated tce-setup to write cde info to /etc/sysconfig.
* Updated startx to better support desktop boot code.
* Updated tc-config and tce-setup.sh for refined definition of the base boot code.
base will now only ignore "user" extensions. Builtins and cde extensions always load as they have become by their very
nature part of the base system. See CorePlus.iso for how it is being used.
xbase.lst is implemented via our standard lst boot option. But now lst is supported in the cde directory.
Hence by using xbase.lst a simple standard list file containing only the base X/GUI extensions to be loaded.
See CorePlus iso for how it is being deployed.
* Updated interface files for supported window manager extensions:
flwm_topside.tcz, flwm.tcz, fluxbox.tcz, hackedbox.tcz, icewm.tcz, icewm-full.tcz, jwm-snapshot.tcz, jwm.tcz
Files likely in your backup that will need to be updated:
Note: You must recreate all ondemand items. Use AppsAudit OnDemand Maintenance.
CorePlus replaces MultiCore:
CorePlus now sports a boot menu so that the user can easily see the window managers and boot options available.
* Dropped tc-grub4dos
* Dropped tinycore.gz
* Added flwm, jwm, icewm, fluxbox, and hackedbox; plus their dependencies.
* Updated tc-install.sh & tc-install GUI now installs running desktop and detects CorePlus with user selectable options,
frugal now installs embedded, i.e., self contained in the tce directory with option to skip the boot loader install.
* Updated ezremaster to support the new Core foundation.