WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: [solved] [4.1] appsaudit refuses to mark certain extensions for deletion  (Read 3179 times)

Offline yoshi314

the situation was : I had a halfway installed kde ( i think i installed just the kdebase-workspace.tcz addon )

i tried marking for deletion one of kde related packages ( i believe it was kdelibs ) and appsaudit refused to mark it for deletion, listing some other extensions in the right pane.

i managed to remove my partial kde4 download by trial and error, by checking what depended upon kdelibs in appsaudit. one of those pulled all kde related dependencies with it for deletion.

i'm not sure why this happened. i'll try to reproduce it. is there some rule to what extensions can be marked for deletion and which cannot ?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 01:32:41 AM by yoshi314 »

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
Re: [4.1] appsaudit refuses to mark certain extensions for deletion
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 09:37:18 AM »
When extensions are listed on the right hand side it is an indication that your requested removal cannot be completed as those list extensions depend on it.  Such provides system integrity.

kde4-desktop.tcz loaded fine via appbrowser and appsaudit successfully removes all of it without any issue.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline yoshi314

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 01:04:43 AM »
so, basically removal of toplevel extension will also pull along its unnecessary dependencies, but removal of normal extension will not allow me to remove all packages depending on it in an automated way?

if i understand correctly, when i want to remove kde4-desktop, but e.g want to keep kdegraphics i will have to remove it from deletion list.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 08:19:11 AM »
One would typically uninstall by application and not a particular dependency. There are reporting options to "list required by" any of the listed extensions.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline yoshi314

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 11:23:45 PM »
it would be nice to be able to mark output of "required by" for deletion, for instance (it's either not implemented or i am doing something wrong).

but i guess i can manage in other ways. parsing dep files to find top level dependency is not that hard, although it can get a bit time consuming at times.

i'll mark this as solved.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 01:32:30 AM by yoshi314 »