WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: TC Linux 4.02 Alsa and OSS issues  (Read 5748 times)

Offline stevesr0

TC Linux 4.02 Alsa and OSS issues
« on: November 04, 2011, 07:09:22 PM »
I downloaded the 4.02 TCL release and launched it on my Fujitsu T4220 .laptop as a Live CD.

I first attempted to install alsa which I have always used in linux.

My built in sound card (ALC262) wasn't detected.

I looked at different forum threads and learned there are some funky issues including mentions of the need for a 2.6.33.3-tinycore.tcz extension, depmod.tcz and some other items (this was dissected by roberts).  In one case taking files from an earlier version resolved this.

Several people advised using OSS, so after rebooting, I have done that.  This seems to be working. 

However, I also tried to install the OSS-Alsa extension that allows OSS to manage programs that use alsa.  This install failed (message: mount: mounting /dev/loop45 on /tmp/tcloop/OSS_alsa failed: Invalid argument.

So, I am reporting this, as all-in-all they represent a combination of issues that I think affect a lot of users.

Hope it is helpful.

Steve

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: TC Linux 4.02 Alsa and OSS issues
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 12:49:46 AM »
Corrected OSS_alsa.tcz.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 05:29:24 AM »
How did you try to set up alsa with '/usr/local/etc/init.d/alsasound start' or with the command alsaconf?

Alsaconf is deprecated for most distros, but is here for those with older hardware.  In some cases alsaconf will work when alsasound does not or vice versa that is why they are both available.

Offline stevesr0

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 07:20:15 AM »
To Jason -

"How did you try to set up alsa with '/usr/local/etc/init.d/alsasound start' or with the command alsaconf?

Alsaconf is deprecated for most distros, but is here for those with older hardware.  In some cases alsaconf will work when alsasound does not or vice versa that is why they are both available."

Both I think.  I tried alsaconf and when that failed checked messages and tried alsasound start.

(I could be misremembering.  I can try the alsasound start command the next time I boot the live cd on that machine.)

To curaga -

"Corrected OSS_alsa.tcz"

Originally, I had typed Alsa_oss.tcz, then realized that was the adapter in the other direction and corrected it, to avoid confusing people.  I was tired and figured that the capital vs lower case was inconsequential.  My bad...

Thanks for responses.  This is a very responsive set of forums.

Steve

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 08:51:29 AM »
Steve-
I will look into that driver and see if there are any known quirks.

I have seen some bug report pages that mention issues with this driver, I will see if there is a posted solution.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 08:55:41 AM by Jason W »

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 02:08:03 PM »
I see different issues with this card out there, but since I don't have this hardware I cannot really help further.  It appears to be a kernel module issue folks have been seeing upon  kernel or distribution upgrades.

Can you post an image of your alsamixer, or does speaker-test command issue an error?  maybe the mutes are on by default.  And, of course, make sure you are using "base norestore" booting to test with.