WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: How to restore an encrypted mydata.tgz ?  (Read 2383 times)

Offline mountpeaks

How to restore an encrypted mydata.tgz ?
« on: January 13, 2012, 12:10:27 PM »
I've booted tc with "tc protect" functionality and entered a password. Then I rebooted.
After that, how should I boot-restore my encrypted data, The thing is I can't decrypt it on my local machine with bcrypt for some reason, can't imagine that I've misspelled the password twice!
At prompt what should I do, just "tc restore"? or "tc restore=sdb1"?, but all these options take me to new desktop and do not demand any password. My encrypted mydata.tgz.bfe is on /dev/sdb1/tce/mydata.tgz.bfe

Offline netnomad

Re: How to restore an encrypted mydata.tgz ?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 02:54:14 PM »
for a helping hand you could give more informations about your specific configuration...
like version, kind of core, boot medium and it's bootmanager...

by the way, if you want to bcrypt your mydata.tgz.bfe on the command line, you have to add to your password quotation marks... if your tc-restore password is just plain f.e.123, then you have to use "123" with bcrypt on the cli, just extend your password with the quotation marks at the beginning and at the end.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 03:01:04 PM by netnomad »

Offline mountpeaks

Re: How to restore an encrypted mydata.tgz ?
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 10:53:34 PM »
Man, you saved me! You just don't imagine how many valuable docs were there, and  I was on a verge of giving it up. Double quoting is a mean thing.
Now, I have a 4.2 version of TC(Core current) and boot to TC from USB with a "tc" command at prompt, there you can add some options like "tc restore", "tc protect" etc.
Code: [Select]
ls /media/sdb1/
boot  opt  tce

ls tce
ondemand  optional  copy2fs.lst  mydata.tgz.bfe  onboot.lst  xbase.lst  xwbar.lst
so is it just adding "tc restore" at boot, cause there are f2 f3 f4 files in boot/syslinux/ with description of options
and I have "restore={sdb1/tce/mydata.tgz.bfe} Specify saved configuration location" in f2 file.
I assume I should just do "tc restore" at boot and I will be asked for a password to decrypt mydata.tgz.bfe, am I right?

thank you again
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 10:58:21 PM by mountpeaks »