WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: multiple keyboard problems  (Read 4045 times)

Offline ISSALENE

multiple keyboard problems
« on: October 26, 2011, 03:08:08 AM »
Hello,
I'm using Xvesa and the extension kmap.tcz
We are facing to multiple keyboard issues.
Turkish keyboard: characters are not correct
Portuguese keyboard
Hungarian keyboard
Spanish keyboard

and we suspect we will meet much more as we need to provide this image to 35 different countries...
It seems we are not alone to have this kind of problem. see the link
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/tinycore-linux-using-rdesktop-with-turkish-language-problem-872600/
Our TinyCore image is using VmWare View Client 4.6 with pcoip enabled to connect to our own cloud computing system.
By default, the keyboard is imported in the VMWare connection and the keyboard issue is reproduce in the windows session as well

It seems as well using Xorg reduce this kind of problem but we can't use it because our boot process is PXE and Xorg grows up the bz image size from 30 to 62 MB, wich is not possible for us

Does someone could help us about this problem?
Robert thinks it is a problem of the binary keymaps used by busybox, which don't translate the key code into the right symbol.
Many thanks in advance
Jocelyn

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: multiple keyboard problems
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 08:02:23 AM »
The console keymaps are inherently more limited than Xorg keymaps, they only support 256 glyphs IIRC. I don't think there's any way around that.

You may be able to shrink Xorg, for example remove drivers you don't need.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 08:03:58 AM by curaga »
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 08:05:42 AM »
The wiki has an article on how to PXE boot and load tce extensions over the network.  No remastering is required.
http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/wiki:netbooting

Offline ISSALENE

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 05:49:14 AM »
Hi all,

Thanks for your answer even if it is not what i was expected... lol
I would like to avoid if possible the NFS repository because we are preparing a hughe infrastructure in this case.
Our problematic is the size of this project and this is also why we want to have one optimized image world wilde... we know already how to externalise time zone and keyboard setting from the image using option in default file of the tftp server. but if we use this kind of nfs solution in a big scale that could be very fast stricky.
to be more clear, I want to use TC in 35 countries with only one TC base image. Everything is ok except this keyboard issue. We will use TC as a gateway to our VM Ware cloud computing internal environment, and we need to have the X server the most universal and simple possible because we need to re-use our old hardware.
This project is the bigest of the world for VM Ware and they are also working (on my demand) on Tiny core and this keyboard issue. They will provide us end the year the Linux View 5 client with PCOIP protocol included and TinyCore officially supported.  Of course, as soon as I will have this version I will share it with the comunauty. Their Dev departement in US is working on it.
Nevertheless, I need to be able to have this busybox able to handle correctly all our keyboards. We are speaking here about arround 45 000 workplaces at the start-up....
I'm open to all ideas and incomes from all of you.
Cheers
Joss

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 06:10:09 AM »
Well, I recall there was a version of Xvesa that supported Xorg keymaps. Unfortunately that was a while ago, I'm afraid I don't have any pointers on that.

Offline ISSALENE

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 08:21:26 AM »
I think that could be really really helpful if by chance you can have pointer on it.... let me hope!
cheers
Joss

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 09:00:41 AM »
Since you are PXE booting, you must have a VPN connection.
Extensions can also be loaded via http or tftp.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 11:22:45 AM »
I found the thread on it: http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=6314.0

edit: I see Xvesa as it was right before its removal from Xorg-server had that support. You could pick up the git revision right before the Xvesa removal commit.

edit 2: You could try the Xvesa-7.1 extension to see whether that build has it.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 11:29:25 AM by curaga »