WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Docs - Diagrams  (Read 5538 times)

Offline netzen

Docs - Diagrams
« on: April 01, 2009, 09:21:13 PM »
Hi,

I don't know how much I can do, but I like to help with some docs and diagrams to make things more comprehensible for the average person.

The overall idea is to make more easy to understand, so it may facilitate usage and future contributions (i.e. growing of the platform).

I like to start suggesting some pictures to include in the "concept page" (http://www.tinycorelinux.com/concepts.html).

Please, take a look at them to see if it represent accurately the above text.
[ Install Types ]

[ hires ]
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3584/3406326308_39410a54fc_b.jpg

[ Type M1 - Cloud ]

[ hires ]
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3575/3406327108_fb9b816206_b.jpg

[ Type M2 - Persist TCE ]

[ hires ]
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3442/3405515367_b4e75b372c_b.jpg

[ Type M3 - Persist TCZ ]

[ hires ]
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3550/3405515653_fe5c45569f_b.jpg

[ Type M4 - Persist "Install" ]

[ hires ]
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3577/3406326512_5619b7dd29_b.jpg

Please tell me if there are any mistake or something that can be made better in these pics.

PS: I intend to make more diagrams like these to help with the current and future docs.

Any other comment, feel free to share.

Valter

Offline mikshaw

Re: Docs - Diagrams
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 04:29:18 AM »
I'm not sure why you chose to add the method names M1-M4.  I think the current names are already a little heavy to remember quickly, and adding another abbreviation to the mix makes it more confusing.

Otherwise, I think these charts do a good job.

EDIT: I'm not sure about the two-way arrows, though.  I assumed that meant writing in both directions, but TCZ are read-only.  The 2-way arrow makes sense for PPI, but maybe something else should be used for TCZ
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 04:34:09 AM by mikshaw »

Offline netzen

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 05:22:50 AM »
EDIT: I'm not sure about the two-way arrows, though.  I assumed that meant writing in both directions, but TCZ are read-only.  The 2-way arrow makes sense for PPI, but maybe something else should be used for TCZ

Yes, you are right...
I was trying to convey the idea of "link or access",... but the 2-way arrow does communicate "read/write"...
I will be changing it for "line with round-dot at the end", and write "access" next to the line.

Thanks.

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 05:38:54 AM »
devil's advocate: there is a writable component included with many or most tcz's.

Offline netzen

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 06:16:40 AM »
devil's advocate: there is a writable component included with many or most tcz's.

Thanks, I did not realize it from mentioned text.

So, do you have any idea to translate it to pictures?

Keep in mind that the diagrams are just a visual-big-picture, to communicate the general idea...
I think some details can be ignored...

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 06:47:33 AM »
The persist install needs some indication that it requires the use of tce extensions with "PPI Compatible" indicated.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline netzen

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 07:01:44 AM »
The persist install needs some indication that it requires the use of tce extensions with "PPI Compatible" indicated.

Ok, thanks for input.
Will add the following:

"In this mode must use ONLY TCE extensions"

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 08:38:27 AM »
do you have any idea to translate it to pictures?

i tried to think of a constructive comment, i don't hate the diagrams and they could be useful. closest thing i had to advice was try making them svg graphics. your style of illustration is something that svg lends itself to anyway. but it's nitpicking, your style also lends itself to good scaled versions as raster graphics.

Offline netzen

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 07:56:36 PM »
i tried to think of a constructive comment, i don't hate the diagrams and they could be useful.

Yes, thanks, I understand your comments...

I was asking about the TCZ extensions and the read/write stuff... and a possible way to implicate that r/w inside a clever simbol...

[ picts ]
I'm not a graphic designer, so, my "method" is to make use of Visio, then export as EPS, then open in Photoshop and do final details when needed...
I will be trying to make then Gimp (or other FOSS) compatible so that anybody can edit then in the future...

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009, 11:04:11 PM »
try the tiny version of inkscape (there are two, one is much larger) in the extensions, i think you'll like it. it may take a whole day to learn to use it the way you want, but for the kind of diagrams you make it's much easier than using gimp. i say this as someone who likes gimp and uses it all the time, but inkscape is better for this, and i like inkscape, too. if you were doing more detailed artwork, i might recommend gimp or the full inkscape instead.

just my opinion, naturally. i mean, you could probably just keep using visio.

Offline netzen

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2009, 10:21:05 AM »
Hi,

I have 3 more files related to the page: http://www.tinycorelinux.com/concepts.html

Pict 1:

Pict 2:

Pict 3:

Please, any suggestion or mistake, or idea, feel free to point so that I can correct them.

Thanks,
Valter

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2009, 01:48:50 AM »
pic3 might want to be clearer that it uses simple pattern matching (you don't have to say "pattern matching") to include everything under "home/tc" not indivudual files only.

Offline netzen

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2009, 02:02:13 AM »
pic3 might want to be clearer that it uses simple pattern matching (you don't have to say "pattern matching") to include everything under "home/tc" not indivudual files only.

Thanks for input.

"files and (entire) directories" ... maybe better... ?

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2009, 07:22:38 AM »
for the sake of keeping it simple that might be the best way to say it. you could change directory to directory trees, which is more accurate, but they'll probably know what you mean if you just say directories. i can't think of a better way to word it.

Offline h-munster

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2009, 01:21:23 PM »
Diagrams such as these will help a lot in getting newbies to grasp the "core concepts."  I have read the explanations several times, but visualizing the modes in this way makes it everything easier to understand.

Thanks for creating these illustrations.