WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Wifi - WPA2 PEAP with GTK on TC 4.0  (Read 2708 times)

Offline eschen42

Wifi - WPA2 PEAP with GTK on TC 4.0
« on: October 03, 2011, 01:18:00 PM »
I want to log into a WiFi hotspot that uses WPA2 with "PEAP with GTK" with a username and password - at least, that's what I selected under properties in Wicd Network Manager in TC 3.8.
TC 4.0 uses wifi.sh instead, but when I choose the hotspot, I am prompted for a passphrase, and a cursory inspection of wifi.sh didn't make it clear to me how I can change the properties for this ESSID.
Where do I start to learn how I can log into this network with 4.0? Not being able to do so is a deal-killer for my migrating to 4.0.

By the way, I love TinyCore and am very grateful to all of you who support it!  :)  :)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 08:51:39 AM by eschen42 »

Offline maro

Re: Wifi - WPA2 PEAP with GTK on TC 4.0
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 05:29:41 AM »
Sure, one could try to change 'wifi.sh' to accommodate a different EAP method (other then the default one which AFAIK is WPA-PSK). But in the end (at least in my opinion) both 'wifi.sh' and 'wicd' are mostly "helpers" to get to a 'wpa_supplicant' configuration file. There is a bit more to it, but maybe the following description can serve as a proof of concept of what should be feasible without either of them on the target TC 4.0 system:

(1) On the TC 3.x system (with 'wicd' installed and the wireless interface successfully in operation) identify the 'wpa_supplicant' configuration file, e.g. via
Code: (bash) [Select]
tc@box:~$ ps -o 'pid,args' | grep -v grep | grep 'wpa_supplicant'
 3833 wpa_supplicant -B -i wlan0 -c /usr/local/var/lib/wicd/configurations/0012345678ab -D wext
tc@box:~$
and capture this config file (e.g. via sudo cp -p /usr/local/var/lib/wicd/configurations/0012345678ab wpa_supplicant.conf) as it will be needed for the TC 4.0 system.

(2) On the TC 4.x system install the require extensions (e.g. via tce-load -wi firmware wpa_supplicant, with the assumption that a specific firmware file is required and can be found in the 'firmware.tcz' extension).

(3) Enable the wireless interface (e.g. via sudo ifconfig wlan0 up, with the assumption that 'wlan0' is the interface in question).

(4) Associate with the wireless access point (e.g. via sudo wpa_supplicant -B -i wlan0 wpa_supplicant.conf)

(5) Obtain an IP address etc. (e.g. via sudo udhcpc -b -i wlan0)

At least in principle these steps should be all that is required. Of course these steps are not a fully-fledged custom script (as there is nowhere any handling of failure cases etc.). Plus there are certain know "traps" (e.g. a wireline interface that is already active) that can make things a bit more tricky. But a search in this forum here might already provide for an answer for those as well.

On a different note and more for the future: please refrain from double posting as that is usually not seen as a "popular" move. Mind you in your case that was not one of those "typical" copy-paste cases, but near enough. OTOH, if you would have spend an hour or two to really study the 'wifi.sh' script you might have been able to come up with an amendment for your needs.