WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Firefox and Save Files  (Read 3782 times)

Offline netnomad

Re: Firefox and Save Files
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2011, 11:37:01 PM »
i guess that a normal user (f.e. tc) cannot save to / of /dev/sda1 (root-filesystem-hierachy).
but the normal user can write to a directory of /dev/sda1 f.e. /dev/sda1/mydata,
if the permissions of that directory are set in the appropriate way.

that means
the normal user is not allowed to save to  /mnt/sda1,
but the same user may save to                 /mnt/sda1/mydata,
if mydata is writeable for this user.

nevertheless with sudo it's possible to write directly to / of /mnt/sda1.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 11:40:53 PM by netnomad »

Offline thane

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2011, 01:30:57 AM »
I had a similar experience to netnomad's. When I first started using TCL, I was booting off CD and had the tce directory on a USB stick under mnt/sda1. I was able to create a separate directory under mnt/sda1 and save files to it (various downloads that I wanted outside of tce). Once I had a box that could boot off a USB stick and had installed TCL there, I couldn't create directories under mnt/sda1 (I didn't want to mess with the permissions). However I was able to create directories under mnt/sda1/tce which works fine for me. Having additional directories under tce doesn't seem to interfere with TCL.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 01:34:41 AM by thane »

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2011, 06:15:44 AM »
The permissions on an unmounted directory make no difference after you mount it.
You need to do the chmod after you mount it.

hypersonic

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2011, 03:26:56 PM »
The permission was 755 because I've tried change to 777 first, and before to 755. I created a file inside /mnt/sda1, changed permission, but without success. Before I changed partition format to FAT32, no success. So I plugged another pendrive, and I can save inside it. I don't know why Firefox does not write to internal hd.

ls -l /etc/mtab
Code: [Select]
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            12 Sep 25 04:22 /etc/mtab -> /proc/mounts