WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: ossmixer  (Read 3906 times)

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
ossmixer
« on: May 07, 2009, 12:58:33 PM »
Although initially facinated, I like it less and less.  FIrst of all, it's a pig  (check out 'top' and compare with something like alsamixer).  Second, for all the squandered resources...nothing much seems to work besides vol and mike.  What's with the "consumer./professional" , etc, etc, etc,  garbage?   I've aready had one freeze up when clicking on the mixer tray icon.  Also, it doesn't size correctly to the window.  Why include this junk with the OSS extension??
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 01:01:24 PM by jpeters »

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
Re: ossmixer
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 01:45:30 PM »
oh please don't nix ossxmix... just don't run it (it doesn't run unless you ask it to.)

or make it another extension, i don't care. i would only use if half the time, but for many users i would recommend it and when i use it i'm very happy with it. i could make a list of complaints about it longer than yours, but those are for the ossxmix team, not the tc team. but the only way to adjust the volume i like more is my own! (and only a little... using ossmix.) i wish ossxmix worked in 1.x. too. alsamixer is irrelevant to the many people who don't use alsa.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 02:02:06 PM »
It's gtk2, what would you expect :p
Alsamixer uses only ncurses.

Also, it's included in the extension because it comes with the official OSS source.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 05:29:37 PM »
It's gtk2, what would you expect :p

:o i like gtk2! (usually.) it's a favorite. i mean leafpad, jwm, minefield... i wish minefield didn't need xul! (but does epiphany do flashblock and noscript? there you see?)

Alsamixer uses only ncurses.

i love apps that use ncurses, but i am not everyone...

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 07:42:36 PM »
Okay...I just found something to like about it, and that's the separate volume controls that appear when multiple apps are running (eg, xmms, flash).   That's really useful..   I had to add ossxmix to the  "killall" list in the suspend wrapper to stop  the freezing.    And   ...hey....selecting "professional"  from the dropdown menu has already made me feel better about myself, even if it doesn't do anything.   
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 08:00:18 PM by jpeters »

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 11:59:56 PM »
selecting "professional"  from the dropdown menu has already made me feel better about myself, even if it doesn't do anything.   

but that is sometimes the only difference between a "professional" and a "novice." that, and the novice, having actually learned instead of being "trained," knows more. so the setting is actually a very subtle and powerful comment on society... (plus it's free software. you can change the settings again to make yourself "president" or "ceo..." screw "professional!" try "vp of bose corporation," see if it sounds any better. actually it will probably just up the price of the speakers.)

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 04:40:28 AM »
Separate volume controls for apps is something very useful, not available in alsa btw :p
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 08:01:30 AM »
Separate volume controls for apps is something very useful, not available in alsa btw :p

Yeah...OSS doesn't support multiple apps in tc1 either, so I was really surprised!  (now if I could just get
skype running........)

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 06:47:49 PM »
Edit:   oss with flash10,  skype, and xmms running on separate ossmixer controls (!)

[removed due to policy]apps/oss-combo.png

« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 10:35:07 PM by jpeters »