WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: how does ondemand for command line utilities work?  (Read 5036 times)

Offline christophed

Re: how does ondemand for command line utilities work?
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2011, 12:11:30 PM »
I may not represent the typical use case (OnDemand extensions in mostly CLI TinyCore) and it's a small effort for me to edit the wrapper scripts if I know I can't depend on them working automagically in my context.

If creating the icons (which I can imagine is quite hard for a lot of tools) is part of the problem maybe part of the solution could be to make one 'generic' icon for all (non specific) CLI tools?

I hope I don't offend anyone by making these remarks since I'm very new to TinyCore and how it works. It's been a superb distro so far!

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2011, 04:56:05 PM »
They could and will work automagically. The infastructure is provided and or will be adjusted. FWIW so too is a generic icon. See /usr/share/pixmaps/core.png. However if an extension maker deems not to use such or only upon request, e.g. mc, then so be it. It will not be for lack of base support.

Your question has brought to light valuable insight from a user's perspective. I hold no hard feelings towards anyone. It is an interesting topic discussion which will make Tiny Core only more capable going forward.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 05:51:09 PM by roberts »
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2011, 07:40:16 AM »
I recall that previously when creating ondemand entries one was asked for the binary name, if desired. Perhaps that functionality could be brought back for clĂ­ extensions in some form.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2011, 07:05:50 PM »
That too, like the "run in xterm" would require that the end user know in advance such details. Whereas the extension maker would obviously know. Many CLI extensions would benefit from having at least a menu item with cliorx. Of course there would still be some CLI extensions where it would not make sense, specifcally those that require dynamic run time command line arguments.

10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.