WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Microcore SCSI  (Read 2194 times)

Offline nickjf20

Microcore SCSI
« on: August 23, 2011, 11:17:14 AM »

The ISO linked below was built by following the instructions on the wiki -- extracting the microcore.gz to a directory, extracting the scsi...tcz to a directory then copying over the contents of the SCSI package into the correct directory of the extracted microcore.gz (/usr/local/lib/modules/kernel/SCSI....) Said microcore.gz was then repacked, and has been placed inside the ISO you will see on my hosting.

On boot from cd, the remaster sees the SCSI drives, and can read/write fine. After copying over all the required files, installing grub and force unmounting the disc, upon reboot, the remaster boots as normal until microcore tries to load the extensions -- it seemingly fails and the system acts as normal, without extensions and / or read/write capability to the drive -- the drive doesn't register.

You can find the ISO I've cooked up over at .phant0m.net/ISO]http://[remaster].phant0m.net/ISO selecting the build including SCSI in the title.

Thanks,

Nick

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: Microcore SCSI
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 12:36:37 PM »
Since you added modules, did you remember to run depmod?

If you didn't, and the cd contains a module extension somewhere, that would explain this.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline nickjf20

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 03:51:43 PM »
I've run depmod as per the wiki instructions for 2.x even though I'm running 3.6

Code: [Select]
sudo depmod -b /tmp/extract 2.6.33.3-tinycore
Code: [Select]
sudo ldconfig -r /tmp/extract
Same results.

I'm also going to start making a kernel with Multicast enabled so I can use the app 'MiniUpNp' -- hopefully I won't get too confused 'making' my first kernel !

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 11:06:15 PM »
That should be depmod -a -b ....

Offline nickjf20

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 12:18:29 PM »
Thanks for updating the wiki.

I'll re-run it all and fingers crossed it'll work.

Offline nickjf20

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 12:47:44 PM »
Initially still didn't work -- solution was to specify the tce boot code ( in my case tce=sda1 )

If anyone (newbs) wishes to have an SCSI microcore, I can upload one.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 11:51:58 PM »
Some SCSI controllers take very long to init. They would probably need to use the waitusb code.

ted_smith

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 01:29:42 PM »
Hi

I found this thread having booted my workstation using the latest v4.0 TC and realising that because a) the workstations usual boot disk is a SCSI disk and b) it's accompanying 500Gb RAID0 is also a SCSI RAID, TC couldn't detect any of the disks because as far as I can tell, SCSI is excluded (understanably, given the aims of TC).

I found that there is a SCSI extension and a RAID extension. I added both to my setup but I cannot work out how to get it to 'probe' the SCSI hardware so that disks are then detected by the disk mounting facility? lsscsi seems not to be a valid command in TC.

I then went on to see if it would detect an externally connected Firewire disk. It seems the same issue is here. I downloaded the Firewire extension but again, I can't work out how to get it to refresh the connection so it detects the attached disk?

Ted

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2011, 08:50:18 PM »
Up until a few days ago, I was using microcore on an old desktop with scsi hd.

In order to boot from the scsi hd, I had to recompile the kernel with the driver for my scsi adapter compiled in rather than compiled as a module - I suspect you will need to do the same.