WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: chips  (Read 2054 times)

Offline vinceASPECT

chips
« on: August 01, 2011, 08:35:23 PM »
Hello

I just saw this which pleases me.

http://www.geek.com/articles/chips/amd-8-core-zambezi-3-6ghz-fx-processor-to-be-300-20110728/

i mean they won't be that price in the UK. We pay a lot more here but you can just
buy direct from the usa via shipping. No taxes ever get applied in my experience. Infact
i think computer gear is not taxed here in the UK.

see, we are now paying 20 percent value added tax here. The USA pays non. Europe may 7 percent.

I think this chip may challenge intel. Intel have chips that perform similar
but won't be this price.

if you can get 8 cores running at 3.4 ghz each, then it could be good. Enthusisats
may be running them at over 5 ghz per core. i have seen reports of people doing this with the Zambezi 8 core chips (already)

Vince.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: chips
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 10:29:42 PM »
I'm considering one of those for my next server. But depends on the actual performance, they aren't released yet.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline vinceASPECT

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 11:28:07 PM »
Yes

It says they are releasing them on September 19th. This date has officially
been put forward by AMD.

So it looks like in 1.5 months from now the chips will go on sale to the general
public.

I don't know much about the theory of chips. But i am not sure what
the conclusion of that article is?

They say.......

At that price the Zambezi 8 core costs the same as the Intel Core i7-2600, which is a quad core processor running at 3.4GHz and 3.8GHz with Turbo Boost. The question is, what’s the performance going to be like next to a quad-core Sandy Bridge that has fewer cores and a lower frequency?

what are they saying here?  It looks like they have made a misstake by saying next to "quad core Sandy Bridge" with fewer cores because then it would NOT be a quad core. (contradiction)

The core-i7 2600 IS a quad core "Sandy bridge chip" and runs at similar clock speeds to the Zambezi 8 core........ and costs the same.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Core_i7_microprocessors

i see in the charts that there are other Sandy bridge chips at 2 cores and at lower clock speeds than the Zambezi 8 core...... but costing one third less.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Bridge

So is the article saying that the industry expect the Zambezi 8 core to be neck and neck with the core-i7 2600 quad core.....(price for price and performance for performance)

but perhaps the cheaper lower end sandy bridge 2core chips may still give
the Zambezi 8 a run for it's money? ........while being one third cheaper?

i can't see that being the case....

it's very difficult to understand that article.

Vince.

Offline SunBurnt

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 10:59:14 AM »
From what I`ve seen, added cores only marginally increase performance.
2 cores added 40% to 60%, 4 cores only added 20% to 30% more performance.
And so it goes I believe, more cores have an increasingly hard time trying to utilize the main memory.
The newer cpus appear to improve their design architecture allowing them to be more efficient.
The real crux I think is having larger on chip cashe for each core, which seems to be the direction.