Haha, it took a while
Anyway, now I have this thing set up just like I planned. TC with a dbus-less light cups, almost pythonless, acting as a print server. With all clients needing nothing more than busybox lpr. No drivers, nothing to configure. Just works.
I like that a setup this light was still possible to do.
- cups-lpd is run by tcpsvd, as user lp
- do not buy a printer that needs the HP blob if you can avoid it, took me two weeks to work around the thing
- pdf printing failed by default. Had to manually build pdftops in the cups source and edit mime.convs to enable it.
- default cups.conf used, no access to the web interface from lan
- had to build GS too, due to a dbus dep