WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: samsung SCX-4521F connect to TC almost there  (Read 28115 times)

Offline beerstein

Re: samsung SCX-4521F connect to TC almost there
« Reply #60 on: September 19, 2011, 12:08:26 PM »
aha!
I searched for gs using mc and found a broken link in:

/usr/local/bin/gs

the link pointed to:

/tmp/tcloop/gs-8.7/usr/local/bin  (is not accessible)
because there is no /gs-8.7  folder
instead of that there is a gs folder which leads to the real gs file.

So - how can I change that and make it permanent?
t(w)o be(ers) or not t(w)o be(ers) that is the question

Online Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2011, 01:04:42 PM »
Hi beerstein
Try this
Code: [Select]
sudo rm /usr/local/bin/gs
sudo ln -s /tmp/tcloop/gs/usr/local/bin /usr/local/bin/gs

Online Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2011, 01:06:29 PM »
/tmp/tcloop/gs-8.7/usr/local/bin  (is not accessible)

This implies you loaded an extension named gs-8.7 - there is an extension named gs-8.70 in the tc-2.x repo..

Are you using scatter mode by any chance? Otherwise it's hard to imagine how you have the remnants from a tc-2.x extension present

Offline beerstein

« Reply #63 on: September 20, 2011, 04:22:40 AM »
I have no idea how this extension got into my setup.
I am using frugal and I have /home/tc shared with another Linux distribution on the same partition (hda5) the other user in home
has /home/other_user. This way I can easily exchange data between my two distributions.
My /tce sits on hda9 and I boot from /boot on hda3
Since I have /opt also on hda9 it shares the /opt from that other Linux distri on hda9 - is this a no no ?

Thank's

Offline beerstein

« Reply #64 on: October 07, 2011, 02:45:33 AM »
Hi:
I tried almost everything to get this Samsung working on my TinyCore 3.8.x but I ran into all kinds of problems.
When I was able to fix one glitch I descovered two new ones. I am aware that printing in Linux is not an easy thing.

Interesting discoveries along the way: (I used cups 1311 and the latest version - cups-  from the repo)
1) On some machines even an old HP laserJet3 is not listed in the drivers list. (gutenprint.tcz installed)
2) At this moment the openprinting.org site which holds the drivers is down
3) sometimes the Testpage printing works on a HP DJ 690C but Leafpad does not print, when I install Abiword then Abiword all of the sudden is able to print.
4) On some machines I was able to get a HP LJ 5P and a Canon i550 to work perfectly. Even Leafpad was able to
print on these two printers. (cups 1311)

So I decided to start from scratch using TCL 4.01. When I use the newer cups I run into the ownership problems again, the error message even asks for an smb client and some pdf stuff. The older 1311 version seems to work better and I was able to print a Testpage on a HPLJ 690C but Leafpad did not print.

I will continue to work on this until I can come up with a clear step by step description on how to set up some specific printers.
Everyone who wants to help me is welcome
Thank you

Online Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: October 07, 2011, 04:55:19 AM »
When I use the newer cups I run into the ownership problems again
did you load foomatic-rip? If so, the ownership problems come from here - it was made to work with cups1311, not cups

the error message even asks for an smb client and some pdf stuff.
the smb client message is harmless, it allows samba printing when samba3 is present.

Online Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: October 07, 2011, 10:23:08 PM »
I suggest we remove cups1311 from the tc-4.x repo and replace the current foomatic-rip with one with the correct permissions.

The current situation (cups1311 and cups) is confusing and makes it very difficult to troubleshoot users problems.

Offline beerstein

« Reply #67 on: October 08, 2011, 06:34:31 AM »
Hi: Along the way I also dicovered that Abiword has the new cups extension as a dependency.
So when I start out using cups1311 and install a printer, later when I install abiword the other cups is installed too.
Somewhere in the posts I red that it is not recommended to have both cups installed?

What do I have to do if just want to install a postscript driver? or a pdf driver?
to generate a postscript or pdf document file ?

Online Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: October 08, 2011, 07:21:45 AM »
So when I start out using cups1311 and install a printer, later when I install abiword the other cups is installed too.
Somewhere in the posts I red that it is not recommended to have both cups installed?

Having a cups1311 and cups has generated a lot of confusion so cups1311 and cups-pdf1311 have been removed from the tc-4.x repo.

A revised version of foomatic-rip with the original permissions has been uploaded to the tc-4.x repo.

It will be easier to help you (for me at least) if you do not use cups1311

What do I have to do if just want to install a postscript driver? or a pdf driver?
to generate a postscript or pdf document file ?

Several applications will generate ps or pdf files and the ghostscript_common extension has pdf2ps and ps2pdf convertors. You could also use the cups-pdf extension

Offline beerstein

« Reply #69 on: October 09, 2011, 09:17:55 AM »
Hi: Thank you for helping me here. In the meantime I was able to install a HP LaserJet3 and a
HP Deskjet390C on a pc using TCL 4.01. I had to to switch to the old cups1311 and used gutenprint and hpijs-dynappds.tcz. I was not able to install the HPLJ3 from the newer cups. I will ty that again. When I got this working I will jump back to the Samsung printer.

On that HPLJ3 I can print a test page and in abiword but I am not able to print in Leafpad. (empty page) I saw a thread on that problem and need to study this one too.

Online Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: October 09, 2011, 08:26:55 PM »
In the meantime I was able to install a HP LaserJet3 and a HP Deskjet390C on a pc using TCL 4.01. I had to to switch to the old cups1311 and used gutenprint and hpijs-dynappds.tcz. I was not able to install the HPLJ3 from the newer cups.

Since hpijs-dynappds is by the same maintainer as cups1311, I would guess that its permissions have been changed, which might explain why it will not work with the standard cups extension.

For hp printers, I'd suggest using cups + hplip-2.7