WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: dvb-apps  (Read 2238 times)

Offline maro

dvb-apps
« on: July 11, 2011, 11:02:59 PM »
During the TC 1.x phase a 'dvb-apps' extension was on offer. Maybe someone would like to create an updated version for TC 3.x.

Offline maro

Re: dvb-apps
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 01:04:55 AM »
Thanks to curaga for providing an up-to-date version for the 3.x repository.

I've not had the time to do some proper testing. I just did a quick 'scan /usr/local/share/dvb/dvb-t/... > channels.conf' and saw that all station names were included in the output. There was a fair bit of "noise" (i.e. warnings) so at some stage I'd like to take a closer look into it (and also check out the other utilities).

I've seen that 'dvb-apps.tcz.dep' contains 'v4l-dvb-KERNEL.tcz' (as was the case for 1.x and 2.x). I guess strictly speaking none of the tools in 'dvb-apps.tcz' really depends on those kernel modules. Without them the tools would quite happily produce warnings that there is no device to talk to. So it is more a "practical" dependency and not a really "hard" one.

Whilst focusing on dependencies in this area (and I'm aware I'm risking to go OT), I've only now noticed that 'v4l-dvb-KERNEL.tcz' has a dependency to 'alsa-modules-KERNEL.tcz'. Up to now I've pretty much only "played" with DVB-T under 'vlc' and that draws in anyway 'alsa' (whether I like that or not, and let me get on record that I typically prefer 'OSS'). Now, with 'alsa-modules' coming in thanks to 'v4l-dvb' I can see difficulties in trying to run any player (other than 'vlc') whilst using 'OSS'.

I've not had the time to test this further, but at least for a scan using my DVB-T device I just needed 'v4l-dvb' modules (and 'i2c' modules, plus my firmware file) but most certaily not the 'alsa-modules'. Therefore now the question: Does anyone remember what brought about this dependency?

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: dvb-apps
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 06:47:23 AM »
Some of the modules in there depend on some alsa ones. Maybe it was some webcam ones.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.